Existing Member?

The Travel Bug

Siena!

USA | Thursday, 26 June 2008 | Views [316]

Beautiful Siena!  At first I did not really think I would like this city as there is no rivers or lakes and it seems very closed in, but once getting to know the city it is rather breathtaking.  The city is built in a bowl basically so everywhere you go you have to hike at lest one hill if not two or three.  My hotel view is amazing, from my room I can see the hillside full of stecko apartments then at the top is the Duomo.  I did a tour of it today and it is much nicer then the one in Florence.  It is made of pure marble with ancient paintings on the walls.  There are these detailed carvings in marble of anything imagainable.  A lot of time and effort went into that place for sure!  The front of it is the most breathtaking as it is this beautiful white and pink marble with statues on every peak and  detailed carvings all the way up.  I can not put it inot words and if I were computer smart maybe I could upload pictures but I am me and can not figure it out!

This morning I went on a walk to try to find the train station as tomorrow I want to take a day trip to Pisa.  I walked up and down and down and up so many hills for an hour and still could not find it!  I will take the bus tomorrow!  I did find this beautiful pond with coi fish in it though.  The water was ice cold andit is in a cave like setting.  I put my feet in it for I am sure at least an hour.  So refreshing!  In talking to someone here they said it is the oldest fountain in Siena as it is very hard to get water here there is a jump for joy whenever I can find some.  So I am off to Pisa tomorrow and home in a week!  Man time flies when you are having fun!

About kimroehl


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.