Existing Member?

The Matiussi-Pimm's Travels

We relax and visit the family in Catamarca

ARGENTINA | Monday, 30 April 2012 | Views [568]

Dear Friends,

Ok, I admit that we are actually back in Australia, and I haven't finished my journal yet, but I think you will forgive me, so let's pretend it is still last week ....

We caught another bus, this time by day; a four hour trip to Catamarca over the mountains and through the wilds to visit Roberto's cousins on his mother's side. Though we saw many cacti on the way, Roberto said the countryside looked a lot greener and more vegetated than he remembered. His mother conceded that they were getting a lot more rain there now than they used to. There were crops like soy and corn, then low or higher scrub (1-2m) interspersed with cactus. I could see two types - one looked (from the bus) a bit like prickly pear, and the other exactly like the ones you see in old westerns. The kids were quoting Sarkar from the animation 'Aang, The Last Airbender': "Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya! Nothings quenchier! It’s the quenchiest!" Ok, it's funny, but how many times? Ha ha.

Here I must apologise belatedly for the lack of photos. I have taken lots of course, but when I got out the cable to transfer them to the computer after our arrival, I realised it was the wrong one, and so I will have to do all that later when we get home.

So, on to Catamarca. We crossed the border from Tucuman into Catamarca and it seemed the roads got better straight away. As we approached the city, the whole feeling was - cleaner, better off, better built, a city more like what we were used to. Though I didn't mean to, I mentally took a breath of fresh air.

We were met by two of Roberto's 5 cousins and their children - 5 sisters all beautiful, intelligent, well educated and in good jobs with lovely partners and their own houses. The same as they were in Tafi Viejo. Lawyers, vets, IT professionals, etc. Not that I'm boasting! But an intelligent well educated family.

We all tumbled into Roberto's uncle and aunt's home and arranged ourselves there. His dad had caught a different bus back to BA to be with Roberto's sister and her granddaughter, so Roberto & I shared a room with Elena (on a spare bed), Elisa in another and the boys were in another.

Catamarca reminded me of being in Spain - clear crisp mornings (it is autumn) and clear sunny days, with low humidity. My clothes washing bell went off and straight away I borrowed the front-loader to catch up on the washing - the old agitator style machine in Tafi had no spinner, and with the humidity there, the one load of clothes I had washed there on the first day were (almost) all dry before we left. On the contrary, I was in washing heaven in Catamarca - clothes put out in the morning were dry before the afternoon, and !! - an iron.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking: "You (almost) never iron your clothes in Australia!!! - why so happy about an iron?" I admit, I am a chameleon of sorts, and like to do as the Roman's do, and Argentines generally dress well, but it also felt good to try to look our best and take pride in our appearance, as they do here. Fashion guidance? Ok, the best thing I brought with me was the good suede desert boots (yes, Vinnie’s) I found the day or so before I left. Boots, mostly short ones, get you a long way here. Also pants, nice jackets, leather shoulder bags and SCARVES. So I did ok.

On to Catamarca. Besides the environment giving us a bit of a break, the ‘family’ business was also a bit more relaxed here. Though I was missing Tafi Viejo, it was good to take it a bit easier and not stay up QUITE so late. Ok, lunch was still a big thing at 2pm, Roberto spending most mornings with his Aunt cooking, and dinner was at around 8.30 - but only once did we stay up really late, and that night I mostly just watched a movie with the kids while Roberto entertained the family.

We went on a trip with all the family to a farm in the countryside at a town called Rodeo. Sheep, llamas, goats and a horse to ride for free were complemented by a beautiful building where we were served pastries, coffee and hot chocolate. All the kids and even 80 year old uncle had a ride. Problem was, we only left home at about 4pm and it was cold and started getting dark at about 5.30 – so it took us probably only half an hour to get inside in the warm and enjoying the hot chocolate. (While good ol’ Roberto took the kids for rides. Thanks Roberto). And quince jam! Membrillo it is called here. TDF. Yes, I brought some home.

Hot chocolate is not exactly the right term for “leche chocolatada”. Here in Australia we warm milk and add cocoa powder and sugar. In Argentina they heat the milk, then add – CHOCOLATE! And good chocolate too. You stir it around till it dissolves and then drink! Yum. The proper term for this is “Submarine”.

On Saturday we went to the local market where we stocked up on fruit and veges. ‘Local market’ is correct, with all local produce and local handcrafts as well. Cakes? Yes. Read gigantic cream filled layers of jam and more. Why they all not ‘fat as’ here defies me – perhaps because they don’t eat much bread, and the bread they do eat is like French bread – crispy outside and not much else to it. Pastries and coffee for breakfast everyday? Pretty typical.

The other thing we did was go to an enormous playground with the kids and cousins, with the biggest skate park in Argentina. Nick was happy. Lots of people on a Sunday afternoon. With others selling hot food and sweets and fairy floss from little carts, and even a clown show! We also really enjoyed Roberto’s Aunt’s cooking every day, and his sisters pizza was really the best I have ever tasted.

So now our time was getting shorter, but we definitely did not want to think about going home to Australia yet.

Till next time,

Kerrie.  

About kimpixie


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.