Existing Member?

The Matiussi-Pimm's Travels

In the arms of Tafi Viejo

ARGENTINA | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [326]

First of all, I must apologise for the spelling mistakes in my last entry. I was however, in a busy place at a busy time - where? No, not at the train station or an internet cafe - somewhere much more personal and familiar - sitting at a desk in the dining room of one of Roberto's cousins in Tafi Viejo, Tucuman.

Let's start at the beginning. We arrived in the evening of the 16th - last Monday, after our bus ride as described in my last entry ... ok, so it's a week ago already, can you blame me if can't remember who met us at the bus stop? Ah, yes, it was of course, Roberto's younger brother, Raul, who hadn't seen Roberto for at least 25 years. Emotional meeting. Did I mention that Roberto's parents were also travelling with us? Raul piled us into two "Remisses" which are like pre-ordered taxis, the advantage of which is (I think) you know more or less what you are going to pay before-hand, or is it because they are more reliable? Something like that. 13 Bags and 6 adults and 3 kids in two small taxis - easy.

Driving through the streets, I wasn't much more impressed than in BA, and perhaps starting to feel rather less impressed as we went. I am most definitely not criticising, just commenting, but the place looked pretty neglected. One of our big surprises was when we saw small sulkies being pulled by smallish sad looking horses - it was like stepping back in time.

We arrived at our home for the next four nights, belonging to another uncle whom we would meet some days later in Catamarca. Large rooms, thick white painted walls, high ceilings and tiled floors, with ancient antique furniture. Heavy wooden shutters over the glass windows. Water that was not always available, so buckets in the bathroom to flush at those times. We unpacked and thus began our whirlwind journey of the next few days, in the arms of Tafi Viejo.

We walked with Raul to Roberto's Uncle and Aunt's and piled inside for afternoon tea (yep, at about 6pm). I may get some of what happened over the next few days wrong, but, in summary, every afternoon till evening was spent at one of the cousins or uncles houses, with usually all or almost all of the uncles, aunts and cousin, talking, eating, playing and generally staying up very late. We felt very much part of it straight away. The general greeting is a mutual kiss on the right cheek and a hug - adults, kids and all. Much catching up on the part of Roberto with his Uncle and Aunt, and many introductions for us. Roberto's cousins and their kids arrived and the 3 girl(second)cousins Elena had been waiting to meet came, and after little Aussie presents had been given out, it was on. We hardly saw the kids, as they played hide and seek or whatever, and managed to communicate without much language quite well.

Each of the next four nights we were lucky if we were in bed before 1am. Then in the mornings we would have something to do again, with one of each of the five households - a visit to a beautiful (I can spell!) lake, a play in a park with the kids (read: old steel swings, very worn slides and a really big metal climbing thing in the shape of a wave that our kids loved!) But the best fun was when the girls invited our kids to their English class. Ha! Could this ever happen in Australia? Let me tell you what happened...

We were picked up by their mum, the very friendly Raquel, and she drove us to the small building where the class was about to begin. Her two elder daughters were already there, and we were invited in to their class. The teacher was a young guy, perhaps 25-30 who spoke well and had a love of music. The kids were each sat at a desk/chair and so began introductions. A few simple questions, like name and age etc. Then he split the class into two for a game. Chris joined one group, Elena and Nick the other. Each group had to answer questions in either Spanish or English, or translate from one to the other, and the one who had to give the answer was usually my kids, and they had to give it is Spanish, so it was, as you can imagine, great to see all of the kids working together to try to understand the question, translate for each other, say what they thought the answer was and then get my kids to practice pronouncing the answer! Precious. Raquel (mum of the girls) and I got some good photos and little film clips which I will have to share later. One thing I didn't expect was that Nick got dubbed "the new Justin Beaver", which, though he isn't a fan of JB, was rather flattering. Chris took no time to break the ice and hand slaps and high-fives when they got something right were all the go. The next morning when they went with the girls to drop by their school it was something like a rock star reception, with all the girls hanging around and the other boys were trying to look unimpressed. Anyway, something I don't think they will forget.

Our last night there was spent at another cousin’s house, and the kids from the English class were all invited too! I can hardly describe the noise and happy chaos that was that night! From 2 years to 82 years, each and everyone ate and drank (no meat or alcohol, which we didn't expect, but thanks for this go to Roberto's father who was the supreme organiser), and talked and played. I led the older kids (6-12) in a game of heads down - thumbs up with the help of Nick and Elena and also some drawing and origami. The eldest daughter of Raquel did a great impression of Tucuman accent, captured on my video. And Roberto did a lot of catching up with everyone.

As it drew closer to our time to go, many presents appeared and I felt embarrassed that they who didn't all have that much would buy so much for us, when our presents, from a richer country, had been very simple. But, that is how they said their feelings, and I felt much loved. Very loved. The kids did too, and accepted for who they are.

This type of social situation, where the family gets together often, and with many (20+), means that they all know each other well, and understand and accept each other for who they are and each child grows up with lots of love and kisses from many. Well, ok, I am an idealist, but I could see that they were happier and closer than what I am used to. For sure.

Now we are in Catamarca, but that is another story, I will now say good night, and talk to you again another day,

Signing out,

Kerrie.

About kimpixie


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.