Existing Member?

The Matiussi-Pimm's Travels

Getting closer...

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 4 April 2012 | Views [521]

Well, it's getting very close - only three more sleeps to go and we leave on the night train to Sydney. The kids are getting so excited! I still can't quite believe it - still lots of bits and pieces to tidy up and organise, but most of the big things are already done - the tickets, the passports, the money! the travel insurance - we went with World Nomads, partly because it was recommended by Lonely Planet, and also because it was about half the price of the others, and looked like a good company. Decided to train it down to Sydney two days earlier so that we will have a bit of time to relax (who am I kidding?) before the big flight. Luckily for the way home we found cheap tickets with Jetstar, straight to Ballina, so we will fly back, which will be better as we will most likely be very tired. We leave all our info with my Mum, who will be our main contact here, along with my sister Sandy. 

We decided to get the kids vaccinated for a few things before the trip, even though we had not done much  in the vaccination field to date  - the boys had a tetanus/diptheria shot before going to Cuboree in Jan 2011, but that was it, but for this trip we gave the boys Boostrix, which is a Tetanus booster, Polio, Diptheria and Whooping Cough. The surprise there was the cost - $77 each! Wasn't expecting that. Elena and I had the same - but for free - tell me why? I researched the incidence of disease in Argentina and also the vaccination rates there on various websites, including that of the World Health Organisation. Although they say yellow Fever is a problem there, it is only in the Northern Provinces, and we will not be going there, so don't need the vaccine. The most reported diseases in Argentina in the last few years have been Mumps (5000 in 2010), Whooping Cough (804) and measles (17). There were a few cases of Tetanus, but you have to go back a few years to find any Yellow Fever cases. Rabies, Malaria and Typhoid are also at slightly greater risk there than here in Australia, but we will stay away from animals and Tropical areas, and be on guard for mozzies with repellent. 

Packing clothes! Well, being an old hippy and an Aussie had probably not prepared me well for dressing up in Argentina - I have to re-educate myself a little, but with some effort, I think I can manage. I bought some new jeans, and have been trying to find a jacket (for travel and perhaps the odd evening out in the big city) but it has not been easy! Bought two, but don't really like either - it will be a rush tomorrow! And then there is the house to clean and the pressies to buy! 

As far as pressies for the 40+ relatives, we hope to bring nice Aussie made t-shits which we have found at a very reasonable price (about $8.50 with bulk discount) at Gooses T-Shirts in Brookvale, North Sydney - Aussie animals, nice logos and Indigenous art. Have to get the final order in tomorrow, but should be ok. We'll pick them up While we are there (unless they can deliver). A few bars of local Lemon Myrtle soap and some Roasted macadamia nuts to share around, plus some small story books with CDs (in English) for the littlies to help them learn (Aussie) English. What else? Some hat pins if we get to meet some scouts, and some some toys (Kangaroos etc) Not easy to find any made in Australia (that don't cost the Earth)... will try in Sydney.

Well, wish us luck! We're nearly in our way!

Love,

Kerrie.

Tags: argentina, travel with kids

About kimpixie


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.