Existing Member?

Our Travels

Day 3 - to Destin

USA | Sunday, 8 November 2015 | Views [162]

Long journey today to Destin in the panhandle area of Florida. About 340 miles. Left about 8am, stopping twice en route for petrol and lunch (bought a salad in Walmart).  Easy journey with pleasant scenery and amazing bridge along 98 to Destin.

. Disappointed in our hotel in Destin but fortunately hadn't prepaid. Place looks rundown and a basic motel. What possessed us to book this?!?!? Decided we'd only stay 1 night here which was OK with the receptionist so will check out tomorrow. Walked down to the harbour and had a conciliatory beer, or two, meanwhile researching alternative hotels online, found another and booked it. Fingers crossed its better than this place! Finally relaxed and enjoyed watching dolphins in the harbour, laughed about people who were just setting out on a dolphin cruise! Lots of dolphins around. Walked from one end of the harbour boardwalk to the other, lots of people round and it felt very holidayish. Sand on the beach opposite is brilliant white.

We went to McQuires Irish pub for dinner, happened to be happy hour when we arrived so half price beers. Cold and good. Food was tasty but too much, so boxed up the leftovers. They served delicious black bread and I had crab cakes, salad and baked potato. 3 crab cakes! Leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Tags: destin, dolphins

About kimandphil


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.