Existing Member?

To Oz & Onward...... With a Backpack and pair of flip flops....We're off to sample some Australian culture and see exactly what they have, that The Stowe & Ipswich doesn't!

Coffs Harbour to Byron Bay

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 15 October 2007 | Views [2773] | Comments [1]

So we made the decision to move onward from Sydney in search of a more backpacker, beachy type town. We had heard good things about Byron Bay -we spoke with Gary about it, and he said it was great and would really be "Our Thing." Luckily he was taking a Golf road trip with his friends up the Gold Coast and was lovely enough to offer us a lift to Byron.

On the morning after our meal with Jim & Craig, we were up early and caught the Train to Cronulla. Trish picked us up and we went to meet Gary to begin our 8 hour road trip! Being in the car with two Aussies was great, they pointed out all the scenic things you would miss on the Greyhound!

We spent one night on route to Byron at a place called Coffs Harbour - a sleepy town about 4 hours from Byron. We spent the night in a YHA hostel and had an early night ready for another travel day Thursday.
After driving up the coast and stopping a few times, we arrived at The Art Factory in Byron Bay - our home for 5 nights till we find our feet in this new town.

Arriving at about 6.30pm we managed to check into our room - well, not so much a room as a Tee Pee, yes, thats right - a triangular tent that we actually paid money for!! Its a great set up here, very hippy and laid back - more of a resort that a hostel. People seem to live here for months at a time. Personally we couldnt live here - mostly for the fact that spiders seems to live in/on our pillows, and also because its a little out of town. Well, only 10 minutes out of town but when we find jobs we want to be as close as possible. Apart from that the feel of the hostel is great.

Since being in Byron, we've gone out on the town a few times, sunbathed, and chilled out - its still feeling like a holiday at the moment. However, once we get jobs that may change! We've spent the majority of our time wrestling with spiders in our room, and sand on the beach... but the weather is great and our tans our coming on nicely thank you!! (main thing really!) Today (15th October) we spent the day on the beach. All the swimmers/surfers were evacuated from the sea as there was a shark sighting/attack! A lady was attached by a White Pointer Shark today, and there have been another coule of sightings in the past few days! Kim was excited as she's fascinated by sharks.. but both of us were pretty relluctant to swim out there after that! Check out the News post of it... http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/15/2059744.htm

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

I agree with you ........

  Stelensmith Sep 7, 2010 1:02 PM

About kim-n-frankie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.