Existing Member?

Gone Fishin' Follow your dreams

Tena, Ecuador. The Selva

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 23 July 2008 | Views [3490] | Comments [3]

Kim of the Jungle

Kim of the Jungle

Tena is in the mid-southern part of Ecuador. It is known as the doorway to the “selva”, jungle. I spent two days in the Selva. My lodge was an amazingly modern. They use eco-water system for toilets and gray water. Tubes connecting to a nearby river bring water to the lodge. The guides live in he lodge when there are tours booked. It is a about an hour ride by 4 wheel drive truck to get to the nearest modern town. My guide is a member of the indigenous Quichua Indians. Not to be confused with the Quechua that live in Peru. As we walked through the jungle, my guide taught me about the uses of the plants. It seemed like every plant has a use: soap, shampoo, medication, snacks and refreshing juices, poison and more. The lodge is built at the top of a cliff and eye level with the tallest trees were some of the larger birds nest or hang out. The second day we went tubing down the river. A great trip.

Comments

1

Hi Kim!
Soo glad to hear from you! You look great, KIM OF THE JUNGLE! HA HA
When you come back to USA in fall,come to visit usat Emerson Village. You won't recognize this place!
Judy and I miss you very much! Everyone there is fine.

Yea, we enjoy warm weather, although it feels like it became tropical! We have these tropical showers,after which it's soo muggy and soome people can't even breath, since it's soo humid!

  Natasha Jul 23, 2008 11:10 AM

2

Hi Kim,

where exactly were you near Tena? And did your guide make you meet a shaman and participate in an Ayahuasca ceremony? ;-) I went rafting when I was in Tena, really wild trip, but amazing.

Cheers
Sonja

  Sonja Jul 23, 2008 10:41 PM

3

Hi Kim,

where exactly were you near Tena? And did your guide make you meet a shaman and participate in an Ayahuasca ceremony? ;-) I went rafting when I was in Tena, really wild trip, but amazing.

Cheers
Sonja

  Sonja Jul 23, 2008 10:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.