Existing Member?

Gone Fishin' Follow your dreams

Weekend in Mindo

ECUADOR | Thursday, 10 April 2008 | Views [935]

Proof I made it to the other side of the bridge.

Proof I made it to the other side of the bridge.

Mindo is a river town just a mere hour from the volcano and 2 hours north of Quito.  Mindo is one of those destinations that the bus does not drop you off in the town.  You either walk the 7km or have luck with a private truck coming by.  I happened to have spectacular luck this day.  Just as I hopped off the bus, one such truck happened to be passing by.  I rolled myself into the truck and met Rosa.  She was taking advantage of the ride too.  After a short introductory converstaion she told me about her hostal which was just a few minutes walk from the main plaza, included breakfast and was surrounded by her gardens.  What a deal for only $8.  AND it really was a deal.  I slept in one of the most comfortable beds since my time away from home and the calming sound of the river across the street was enough to give me the best 2 nights of sleep I have had in years.  Walking through town I was mistaken for a native hahahaha as a young couple from South Carolina tried their best Spanish on me to ask if I knew where to find the hostal they had mapped out.  They quickly headed toward Rosa's place once I filled them in on the details.  They were nice neighbors to have.

The first day I hiked up to where a cable car would take me across the river so I could hike BACK down the other side to view some MORE waterfalls.  I met some nice people along the way.  The waterfalls were worth the hike, but as usual difficult to get the best view with out some risk.  There was a serous of VERY sketchy wooden suspension bridges to cross.

The next day I visited the Butterfly Gardens.  The guide talked about the entire life process of a butterfly.  I only understood half of the story as she was speaking rather quickly in Spanish.  Some of the butterflies were like the size of 2 hands.  It was a really beautiul and tranquilo place.  AGain in Ecuador I had good luck, instead of taking the regular bus back to Pululahua, a guy in his new truck came by offering his taxi service.  Myself and 3 others hopped in for the cheaper than the bus fare and a more comfortable ride.  This is a very common thing.  When a person is traveling in their private car a long distance, they will put a sign in the window where they are going and offer a taxi serice along their route.  Often the price is really cheap. This NOT hitchhhiking. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.