Existing Member?

Gullivers Travels

Perth - Broome 11th - 17th August

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 27 August 2007 | Views [1052]

I am glad that Kaz was doing this trip with me as it made leaving Perth that bit easier. We were dropped off in North Bridge at the Easy Rider office where we met Wez our driver and Helen and Jenny from Worthing (uk, they were doing the trip in 7 days like us aswell. Heng - who I was calling Ping for a few days before I realised that I was the only one calling him that! No one told me = ) I was pretty hungover the morning we met so I have an excuse. Well we set off up north and saw some amazing sites and stayed in some nice places. We ate well on the road and had a fantastic time.People came and went along the way but it gave us girls a chance to get to know each other more and we had a good laugh. We saw the Pinnacles which are made up of thousands of peculiar limestone pillars resembling termite nests a pretty cool place to see. We went onto Greendough and looked around a wlidlife and bird park, it was ace. We got to feed some Kangaroos and a few man handled Kaz while me being me laughed my ass off!! We got to handle snakes which I now love since coming out here and handling a few they are gorgeous creatures. There are a lot of trees up this way that lean over due to the way they grow in the winds its pretty mad to see. We stayed in Kalbarri on our first night and had the most amazing fish bbq. Sharing stories from fellow travellers over a few glasses of goon (boxed wine). The next day we realised Wez wasnt able to drive he had cluster headaches so new guy Paddy was to take his place. Paddy had only done this trip once before and hadnt quite made it back to Perth yet! We told him we would be good and look after him = ) We went eventually got away and headed to see Natures Window and the Z - Bend Gorges stunning. The drive ahead of us for the day was a long one. Next stop was Shark Bay and we went and checked out the Stromatolites before heading into Denham for the night. Google Stromatolies - they are what gave us the oxygen we needed to evolve many billions of years ago! Pretty impressive stuff. We also popped into Ocean Park to see some local sea life with a talk from the owner. It was a good place to visit. Kaz and I shared a room the whole way to ease me into hostels = ) We went out for dinner and had satay chicken - it wasnt anything like it but if you saw thw owner of the pub you wouldnt comment on it. It was an exhausting day and we were all pretty tired. A new face came along - Greg! What a character he was exhausting in himself. Very touchy feely with the ladies but im convinced he is gay! He was like an over excited puppy bless him. Another early start and off to Monkey Mia to feed the dolphins. It was soooo touristy but we all want to see them and they had it set up very well only a few people were alowed to feed them to keep them interested and they are wild dolphins. It was great to them so close they are such beautiful creatures. Back to the hostel to pick up three moody chicks! We took them to see ocean park and Greg to see the Stramatolites as he was the only person who had ever heard of them before the trip he loved it. We went to view a lookout instead which was gorgeous. Shell beach was the next stop. Its pretty amazing close up and we had a view of a strolling alone in his spedos! The drive to Coral Bay was very long thankfully I had my wonderful Ipod with wicked tunes on to keep us going - dont know what I would of done without it. So I stayed up front playing Dj and taking in the amazing views of the west coast. We arrived into Coral Bay quite late so managed to make some food which was amuzing as I couldnt turn on the stove - I have never used electric!! So some kind Swiss/French guys helped us out and gave us things to help us. We hung out with them for a while they were very funny guys. After an ok nights sleep we were up early to go snorkling in Coral Bay. It was pretty good and it helped us all get used to using the kit. After breakfast we headed off to our campsite in Exmouth checked in with thye rude people on the desk and headed off for more snorkling over the Ningaloo Reef at stunning Turquiose Bay. It was great and Kaz was soooo funny. It was too cold for her and she looked like a monster when she was getting out the way she carried herself and the noises she was making = ) We had an underwater camera so hopefully some good shots came out. It was so windy there to the sand hurt when it hit you in the wind. We headed up to the lighthouse with a few cans of udl to watch the sunset. Off back to the campsite to get freshened up and go for food and to meet a traniee driver called Steve. What a guy. Everything that came out of his mouth was a sexual reference and he was so full on he even kept Greg quiet. This guy was too much for me I had to distance myself. Another early start and loads of driving today. It was really hot all the time so thankfully we had an air conditioned bus - something I didnt have going up the middle! We camped in Karijini at the tours permanent campsite. It was freezing during the night. We drank some goon and had a great bbq. Also meeting some cool nomads and star gazing. I saw Jupiter through a telescope and it was something. I loved it. I love the stars out here they are awesome. After a REALLY early start - I was the first up! We got ready to go and walk round one of the stunning gorges of Karijini National Park. We went to the Circular Pool before taking a walk through Dales Gorge. An excellent hike up the gorge to Fortescue Falls and swam to the water fall and hung there for a while it was gorgeous before a well deserved and refreshing swim at the leafy rock pool behind Fern Pool. You wouldnt think you were in the outback! Our bed for the night was in a 100 year old station called Pardoo its a working cattle station so you can imagine the noise it was muster season too = ( Our room was ace and we had a bbq and banana pudding from Paddy with some goon, campfire and some grey nomads to chat to it was a great evening. A few of us braved the cold to go in the pool later on - it was sooooooo cold. After breakfast on our final leg to Broome stopping off at 80 mile beach. Miles and miles of white sand in either direction.

Broome is really nice and Cable beach is stunning - the sunset is one of the most beautiful sites I have seen. We stayed in The Kimberley Klub highly reccommend it its a fantastic hostel. We checked out the museum of the Pearl Luggers its really interesting and we got to try the flesh of the shells too which made it more interesting - especially for me who had no idea about the pearl industry until coming to Broome.

It was a sad farewell to Kaz and off I was again on my travels to Darwin.

Tags: On the Road

About kezza30


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.