Existing Member?

just one little fishy

Hogmanay

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 2 January 2007 | Views [604]

Well, the Hogmanay that wasn't actually.

The street party in the centre of Edinburgh was cancelled due to "adverse weather conditions" (the general theme of my holiday...), being 60+ mph winds, rain and bitter temps.  Aside from that (and except for the 15 mins eleven of us spent stuck in a lift on the way to a house party - which will learn us for trying to put eleven people in a tiny lift) it was a brilliant NYE.

Some nineteen NZers piled into Rach & John's flat in Leith in Edinburgh, and we all spent a fantastic couple of days between there, the Waterline pub across the road, and some of their mates place round the corner. Plenty of whisky was drunk (not by me, g & t's as ever), haggis was eaten (surprisingly delicious), a nude swim in the Leith at midnight was undertaken (again, not by me, good sense reigned despite some initial enthusiasm for the idea), and among other highlights (all food related!)  were lunch with Anne on NY Eve, Rach's bacon and eggs at 4am, and the Turkish mezzes for a late lunch on New Years Day.

In all, an excellent time was had, and the train trip was extremely relaxing after the disruptive flights (to top it all off, Lufthansa left my bag in Frankfurt on the way back, so I had 15kg of dirty laundry couriered to me in Edinburgh!).  Highly recommended.

Tags: Party time

About kezza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.