Existing Member?

just one little fishy

St Petes ... again

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 29 December 2006 | Views [599]

Back in this beautiful city ... cold out there tho. My overnight train was uneventful, if a little too warm, but a cabin with meals included in the ticket price (yoghurt and bread good, not so keen on miscellaneous pate and salami) and I had nice cabin-mates who could even say a few words in English.

Its about 7.30am, so just wandered in here out of the cold. Time for a coffee perhaps. Rest of time in Moscow was great, snowed frequently, went iceskating in Red Square (really stunning), wandered about the 'Garden of Fallen Idols' where they have dragged many of the statues of the Communist leaders plus a few more modern sculptures depicting suffering under communism, and in WWII.

The Armoury at the Kremlin remains a definite highlight - there was one carriage there bigger than an average minivan - a room on a sledge basically, and needed a team of 23 horses to drag it. Very opulent dresses and jewels too, although some of the art was a bit tacky.

The other major highlight was St Basle's cathedral in Red Square - tiny little church but incredible frescoes inside.

Today I'm off to the Hermitage, Cathedral of the Spilled Blood, and whatever else I can squeeze in before my flight this evening ...

Need coffee now.

Tags: Sightseeing

About kezza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.