Existing Member?

In A Life Time If you didn't know how old you were how old would you be?

Three weeks down and Three times sick

CANADA | Tuesday, 15 April 2008 | Views [423]

Okay so I left you last in Antigua. Since then we travel via many buses some of which I would gladed never do again but I guess this is just the beginning. Maybe it will just take a little bit of warming up. I would also like to add in that its almost impossible to work out where or how everything works on this damn keyboard so your just going to have to put in the grammer yourself, sorry to all you english lit people.

Left Antigua for an over night bus from Guatamala City, first round of sickness. Motion sickness has never been my strong point. 3 buses, 1 arguement - got stiffed on our bus deal and had to pay extra, 1 boarder crossing and 1 boat to make it to our first piece of paradise. Caye Calker on the carribean. Found ourselves a sweet, cheap cabana on the water complete with deck and hamock and set up home for a week. Made the most of really relaxing, actually the island was quite small but plenty going on and going for it. Went snokeling for a day which took a little convincing for dear old Guillaume that it would be safe. I was having a great old time working him up and much to my delight the first thing we got to snokel with was is sharks. Harmless sharks but its was such an amazing experience, after that a giant sea turtle which i think for me was even more of a highlight, he swam directly under me was just incredible. And of course plenty of fishy and rays. Hired a bike, ate lots of food, drank a bunch and hung in the hamock. No shirt, No shoes, No worries. We were happy.

Next stop Tikal. So bus back across the boarder and straight to Tikal where we spent the night in a tent with our new faviorite friends the mosquito, this was going to be a long lasting friendship. And our first catch up with Guillaume's Mum. Wondering around in hope we hadnt missed her group already at 7.30am in the morning when all of a sudden this lady starts charging at me. It was too early for me to relise what was happening until I was being hugged to death. A big warm hello, lots of talking over the top of each other and then on our way in the gates for Tikal. 

As far as Tikal words cant really describe it. Huge, Facinating and Adventures is probably the best i can give you. Even photo's can not tell the story here. It not just the buildings itself, its the overpowering feeling they have towering over you. We were just ants.

Left tikal with the plan to head to lake atitlan in guatamala but starting talking with some other travellers on the bus that sent us on a little stop over to Semuk Champee. Semuk Champee is a beautiful green 5 teared lakedeep enough to for cliff jumping adventure and stunning enough for jaw droping beauty. The first day we all got up in a group and took to a cave tour. Now when i was signing up for this i dont think I was clearly thinking CAVE. We swapped footwear, lit a candle and headed in about 10 feet wading through the water. Then all of a sudden were swimming deeper and deeper in, one hand above the water to make sure the candel is not swimming too. First obsticle a ladderin a very inconvient place, then a rope up a waterfall, and a cliff jump in the dark(me being the first for all), o and my fav. a swing jump that launches you so high my knees were shaking. And to complete the tour my tour guide attaching himself to me and kissing my ankles. What would it be without a crazy little tour guide that speaks spanish. NO intendo. Next day round two, I have the flu. Coughing, Body aching, Nose running and our new best friends the mosquitos eatting me in the night. No sleep. So another night spent in semuk champee due to me not being able to move and dreading another sleepless night with the bugs. Finally got my self on my feet so we could continue on.

We are now on Lake Atitlan in pana and have been for 5 days. Really nice little hippyish, markets, chill place. Round Three ate toooo many beans apparently. I thought baked beans were good for your heart the more your eat the more you.... well i dont really need to finish that sentence. Along which that what little I have been able to stomach came up last night in a hurrican of vomit. Nice I know but i have to share me travels right. hehehehee. Feeling not so bad today. Hopefully round three and thats it!

Signed ourselfs up fgor spanish lesson starting tommorow. You really cant get by knowing just enough when the person next to you knows alot. And found ourselfs a cute little house for cheap for the next two weeks. There is also a bunch of adventures around here to be had so we will be keeping in contact.

I did alreday try for uploading photos but it takes alot more then i expected. I have two weeks to catch you up whilw Im studying.

Hasta Luago xxx  

About kellydunbar


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.