Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad Lima, Peru

January 12th, 2011

PERU | Wednesday, 12 January 2011 | Views [227]

Today, I worked at Semilleta again. The weather was so nice today. It was sunny but cool and breezy. I first worked with Camila, a little baby who is paralyzed from the waist down. She had the cutest face ever. She’s so chubby! You just want to pinch her cheeks. I played with her, fed her, burped her, and gave her plenty off kisses :). It was great. She’s too cute! Way too cute. I want to take her home.

I also worked with Salvador who has so much liquid in his brain that his entire head is disproportionate with the rest of his body. I pushed him around in his wheelchair around the orphanage. He was so happy to get out of the children’s room. I also took Fernando for a stroll. Poor thing just wanted to sleep but it was so noisy in the children’s room so I decided to take him outside.

Later, I visited the older children’s rooms. One of the teenagers took me by the hand and dragged me to the pool area. Many of the children were in the pool having a lot of fun. It was amazing to see the physical therapist enjoy his job so much. It was truly an inspirational sight to see how someone can find so much meaning and purpose in a job that requires a lot but provides, physically, so little. When it comes down to it, these children provide people like the physical therapist a different outlook at life; an outlook that truly redefines the definition of unconditional love. It made me feel like flying to see such magic shared between the physical therapist and the children. It was the greatest kind of magic I have ever seen and felt. I feel extraordinarily grateful that I was able to witness such magic.

Lunchtime came around and I stayed with the older children to help the staff feed them. I fed two children today. The first was a little girl who kept calling me “mama” and “papa.” She really liked it when I gently caressed her head. She kept taking my hand and placing it on her head. It was cute. The second child I fed was Jonathan! Aw, I love Jonathan. He is such a sweetheart. He always gets super excited to see me. One of the staff members said it was because I am a “chica guapa” and Jonathan likes girls who are “chicas guapas.”

At night, Lidia took me, the volunteers, Juan, and Joel out for dinner. We had Peruvian barbecue and it was amazing! I’m a little worried about Lidia actually. She always looks so stressed and worried. I honestly feel like she’s depressed. I’m just glad I was able to help make her feel a lot better instead of adding on additional stress.

After dinner, Joel took me, Allie, Katie, Kristine, and Lauren out to have Peruvian tea. Oh man, Peruvian tea is incredible. No other teas can compare. Joel also took us to the college where he teaches at. It was a huge college with a pool and everything.

Right now, I feel exhausted. The night is definitely kicking in. Time for bed! Ciao amigos! :D

About kdieu


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.