Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad Lima, Peru

January 10th, 2011

PERU | Monday, 10 January 2011 | Views [431]

Today was the most painful day that I have experienced since I started work at the orphanages. I went to the Semilleta today (the orphanage for children with special needs) and just about everything painful happened to me.

A little girl chewed off a large portion of my hair. My head was literally numb for 5 minutes and the other 5 minutes all I felt was pain. I had food thrown at me, a part of hand gnawed on (thank God none of kids’ bites broke through my skin, that could have been dangerous), and kicked in places that no one should be kicked in (I’m glad I don’t bruise easily).

Other than the pain, I had a pretty amazing day. I worked with Jonathan again today. We took a stroll through the orphanage, we sang, and we danced. I also drew some pictures with Carlos and taught Carlos how to spell his name.

My favorite memory today was work with Gonzalo. None of the staff members allowed Gonzalo to go outside since Gonzalo had more severe behavioral problems. I found work with Gonzalo both challenging and rewarding (I love challenges!). We played with the legos and I found him extraordinarily sweet. He kept kissing my arms and hands. He would take my hand and make me pick up the pieces of puzzles while he held my hand. He did not share me with any of the other orphans. Since all the other orphans in the room were in wheelchair, Gonzalo would push their wheelchairs away whenever he saw them approach me. It was cute.

In this particular room, many of the children had scars and open wounds on their heads. I asked one of the staff members what happened and she told me the scars and wounds were due to surgeries and operations. I really hope this orphanage is not performing unethical operations on these little children. It would make me very upset if this were the case.

I also somewhat feel like SOME of the staff members treat the children like animals. It makes me really sad and upset when I see one the staff members push and shove the children. Take Gonzalo, for example, he refused to let one of the staff members give him water because she shoves the cup in his face. What Gonzalo did instead was he pushed away the staff member’s hand and took my hand and placed my hand on his cup as to tell me that he wanted me to help him drink his water. It really warmed my heart.

In addition to the busy day, I was going off of only 3 hours of sleep since I spent the previous night downloading music -___-. Yes, I was downloading music. But overall, I had a super amazing day. Yay! :)

Buenas noches amigos!

About kdieu


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.