Existing Member?

Carlos Gutierrez

Day 40 – Sunday, August 14th – Abiquiu to Ojo Caliente, New Mexico

USA | Thursday, 18 August 2011 | Views [809]

Beth cooked up some scrambled eggs and bagels and pumped me full of coffee. We sat around and chatted all morning about our travels through life and the reality show idea, visiting my blog and looking at all the pictures, and taking a tour of Wanda’s beautiful adobe home.

The road to Ojo Caliente turned north (and uphill) out of Abiquiu; in about two miles a white Toyota slowed down and pulled alongside – it was Gloria from the art gallery opening last night! I said I was having lunch at El Farito Restaurant in El Rito and asked Gloria to join me. Beth recommended this hole-in-the-wall which is known for its green chili dishes – Gloria knew the place and the lunch did not disappoint! Gloria then took me to her home – 18 acres bordering the Carson National Forest – and gave me a tour of the chicken coop, garden, house and rowing shells; we were led around by Valentino, Gloria’s 140 lb. very friendly Rotweiler who almost licked me to death!

After all the eating and talking and talking and eating I made it to Ojo Caliente, the historic hot springs, here’s the website: http://ojocalientesprings.com/

I had a mud bath ($91 + $10 tip) and soaked in the various hot pools (arsenic, sulphur, iron, etc.), then bedded down in the RV park ($20 for tents) – not a bad day, at all.

About kcarlosgutierrez


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.