Existing Member?

Carlos Gutierrez

Day 33 – Sunday, August 7th – Indiana Pass to Conejos Campground, Colorado

USA | Tuesday, 9 August 2011 | Views [784] | Comments [2]

The day dawned cool and clear – not a cloud in the sky, although it got pretty cold last night. After coffee and oatmeal I hit the trail at 9:00am, mostly downhill to Summitville, the EPA Superfund Site (old mining operation) and ghost town. The few buildings left are in a slow state of collapsing – someone ought to restore the place before it disappears!

I was running low on water, and my maps warned of drinking water in the area due to contamination from the mining operations, so I bummed some water from some RVers, they could not believe I came from Yellowstone! I can’t believe it, either. Then I met a day mountain biker from Kansas, he was pretty excited to meet a Great Divide rider and even took my picture. I got his email address and I’ll email him the link to my web blog.

I lunched at Skyline Lodge (burger + fries) and had an easy afternoon ride through the Conejos River basin. At Gold Pan, a small mercantile in Platoro, I met Mandy, another cycling enthusiast, her boyfriend and his dog. They offered me some pizza which I readily accepted (even though I just finished a big lunch at Skyline Lodge!). When you offer a cyclist food he/she will invariably accept – it’s a rule of the road!

To finish the day I traveled another 20 miles mostly downhill on heavily washboarded roads, camping along the Conejos River at a primitive site. I took a swim in the river with my cycling clothes on to wash them, hoping they would dry by morning.

Comments

1

Enjoy reading your blog and seeing those beautiful scenery photos. You are really living it! bravo! :)

  Fumin Chang Aug 10, 2011 4:40 AM

2

This is a superb blog Carlos, really enjoying reading about the trip and following the route on Google Earth. What a very big country that is!

  Jonathan Rowley Aug 10, 2011 4:51 PM

About kcarlosgutierrez


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.