Existing Member?

On our travels.....

The Crossroads of Australia

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 26 May 2014 | Views [211]

Days 5 and 6

We booked into the hotel in Adelaide for two whole nights!

On Saturday morning we took a walk around Adelaide then jumped in the car to head up to the Barossa Valley. It's only about an hours drive outside the city and well worth the trip. Obviously the main reason to visit is to do some wine tasting but the area is also beautiful and the small towns have great places to stop and eat.

Tununda is a good starting place and the local tourist office were great. My favourite wine is from the Barossa so was very disappointed to discover that it is not open on weekends for tastings - at least this is a good reason to come back again.

We hit Penfolds first where Dad bought a fortified wine called Father Grand. I'll be honest it tasted a bit like burned wood to me but Dad assured me this is how it is meant to taste.

There is a little place called Taste of Eden where you can taste a range of wines from the Eden Valley. This was my favourite ..... The wines were great and place/service lovely. More wine was procured here though I'm not sure it was for the right reason...... Dad insisted on purchasing a wine from a vineyard called Irvine (for those not from Scotland this is a town near WK).

We went to two more vineyards and then headed back to Adelaide. The last vineyard was called Charles Milton which had some great wines (all reds) and a beautiful surround so if you're in the area I would recommend you pop into this one too.

Back in Adelaide we headed out for dinner and watched some of the AFL - the only sport that matters in SA (except netball!). Early to bed as we wanted to catch some of the Champions League which started at 4.15am!

Rather than head straight for Ceduna we decided to do an extra stop in Port Augusta - the Crossroads of Australia it says on google. It's less than a 4 hour drive so we had a nice relaxing start to the morning and left at 10.30. The road is so straight that I had the cruise control on most of the way which I think may be a recurring theme over the next few days. And when we arrived there we saw our first sign for Perth. Google appears to be correct as there is one junction which says left to Perth and straight on for Darwin. We also met quite a few people at the camp site who were heading straight up the middle - beware Mum I think Dad now has his sights set on this!

Since we were camping again I went to Woolies and bought camping chairs!! Only $35 each - probably the best value I've ever had from Woolies!!..... Although in Mosman the same product would probably have cost $100.

So today we are off to Ceduna which is officially the start of the Nullabor. I'm starating to get in to the swing of being on the road and have booked our camp site for tonight already. Then tomorrow we are driving to the WA border and staying in Eucla... There are pretty serious quarantine inspections on the WA border so not sure how long that will take. There is also a spot on the way where apparently you can see whales that have come in to give birth at this time of year. It's very early in the season but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Hope everyone is well.
bye for now x

 

 

 

 

About katkelley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.