Existing Member?

Tales of a Vagabond My summer as a hobo in Europe.

Mussels in Brussels

NETHERLANDS | Friday, 27 June 2008 | Views [2425] | Comments [4]

My giant pot of mussels in Brussels

My giant pot of mussels in Brussels

While sitting in the lobby of the Van Gogh Youth Hostel in Brussels, Belgium, Devin and I encountered a couple of guys from San Diego named Ray and Charles, not to be confused with Ray Charles. After spending the evening hanging out on the patio, we made plans for the next morning and hit the sack.

Breakfast consisted of carbs, carbs, and more carbs: bread, cornflakes, juice, and an assortment of sugary jams and Nutella. Yuck. We locked up our bags and headed into the city in hopes of changing our negative views of Brussels. The Belgians are famous for their beer and chocolate, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with a chocolate beer. It was suprisingly good, much like a tootsie roll. I had a hankering for mussels, another specialty of the region, but the boys weren't too excited. After much debate, I finally convinced them to grab some for lunch. I wasn't suprised when they all enjoyed their meals.

Devin and I headed to Antwerp after lunch, and when we got there were amazed by the number of orthodox jews riding bicycles. Everywhere we looked there were men with long sausage curls and black top hats. We finally found our hostel and took a much needed nap. There wasn't much to look at in Antwerp, so we decided to leave the next morning. Before leaving Belgium I wanted to try the famous waffle. I got one and topped it with icecream and chocolate for dinner. Unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I had also read about a local "specialty" called the currywurst. Of course, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do as the locals do, so I ate one. Only later did I find out that it consists of pork, beef, chicken, and horse meat. It's not just "meat" though. The currywurst is actually made from brains and testicles mushed together and deep fried. I'll try anything once, but in the case of the currywurst, I might just try it again. It was actually quite good if you can get over the fact that it's made from things most people would rather not think about.

On we went to Amsterdam. On the train, a man sat down next to Devin and I. He pulled out his iPOD and speakers and blasted 90s rap, cracked open a beer, and started rolling a joint. I couldn't believe my eyes! Once we got to Amsterdam I was even more shocked. There are "coffee shops" all over the city where you can just hang out and smoke weed. Luckily, Devin's old youth pastor, Kent, lives nearby and let us crash with him. We're out of here tomorrow evening, and the train couldn't leave soon enough. I'm shocked and appalled at this city.

This afternoon we took a trip to a nearby traditional Dutch town. There is a cocoa mill nearby, and the air smells like chocolate. Yummy! We saw lots of windmills too. After a demonstration of how wooden shoes are made, I tried on a pair. They were just as I expected: as uncomfortable as they are ugly. We tried many types of cheese and panakooks, or traditional Dutch pancakes, for lunch.

I'm pretty sure that my bladder has grown to twice its normal size. Apparently, there is a shortage of water and public restrooms in Europe. You have to pay to use the toilet, and water is never free. We've gotten really good at filling up our camelbaks in hostel showers and holding it all day. It's probably not healthy, but at least it's cheap.

I'm off to bed. One more night of plush comfort before more cheap hostels and trains. The restless life of a nomad is starting to take its toll...

Tags: amsterdam, antwerp, belgium, brussels, netherlands

Comments

1

Hey Katie,
I don't think I could join you for the currywurst, I almost lost my dinner just thinking about it. Ask Devin about the "chicken, the best he ever had". I'm really glad you decided not to buy a pair of wooden shoes, not only were they ugly, but I bet they weighed a ton! I bet Amsterdam made Harlem look pretty good, at least there they would hide the weed. Take care, I don't know when Dave and I will get to internet while we are with Grammie. Love you

  Sharon Jun 29, 2008 9:31 AM

2

I love reading these updates :-) I'm not surprised at your appraisal of Amsterdam -- Dan has been there a couple different times and came back on both occasions completely disgusted. I am, however, a little disappointed with your lack of appreciation for wooden shoes! You'll have to attend the Tulip Festival in Orange City sometime - a huge celebration of the Dutch heritage. And it certainly would be incomplete without the wooden shoes :-) Have you had any strupwaffles or pufferjes? That's some good stuff if you happen to run across that on your adventures in Holland! Okay, I better stop - just wanted to say hello!

  Kali Jul 1, 2008 1:14 AM

3

KEK, You look fantastic. I am proud of you because you were not tempted to try a joint yet you were willing to try currywurst. You got your priorities in order. I am sure a man designed the wooden shoe. (Ted didn't think that was funny.)I have never been able to drink beer but then I have never tried it with chocolate.Thought I might call Chris and ask him if he has ever tried a chocolate beer. Will be looking forward to your next writing. Tell Devin hello from your favorite aunt & uncle. :)XOXOX Aunt Joan & Uncle Ted. P.S. Grandma Ina asked about you today. She wanted to know when you are getting home. I told her August. She sends her love and she wants you to be safe. 07/01/08 10 pm

  Joan Sweets Jul 2, 2008 12:47 PM

4

Katie! We are all missing you at old navy! we had a flip flop sale and it was hell. I am so jealous of you and adrianne, both off gallavanting in europe... ahh oh well! have fun!

  Lucy Jul 3, 2008 1:12 AM

About katiekimberling

Segovia

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.