Existing Member?

Katie_Louise "The only people for me are the mad ones" - Jack Kerouac

Lake bled, Bon Jovi and a cocktail ban

SLOVENIA | Wednesday, 1 July 2009 | Views [1028]

Dobardan, I am currently in the hostel in Zagreb. I am listening to Zane Lowe online because I broke my ipod the other day and am missing music so much! Also I am wearing my dress because pretty much every item of clothing I have brought with me has gone into the hostels free washing machine and tumble dryer.
There was an incident with some bug bites earlier today so me and Jenny have had to move rooms. I don't have any but think Jenny has some nasty ones... Apart from that this hostel is pretty awesome. There is a man who works here called Igor, I didn't realise anyone in the world would actually name their son that !

Since Ljubulana we have done quite a bit. We spent lots of time and money and the skeleton bar. It was an incredible little bar where you got to dissapear through a secret door in the bookcase to get to the bathroom and the cocktails were called things like "skeleton granny" and "sex in the disabled toilet".

Left Ljubljana to head to Lake Bled. Its gorgeous. Very quiet. There isnt really much to do there except walk around the lake. Walk up the hills next to the lake to get a better view of the lake. Row accross the lake. Eat in restaurants next to the lake...But that made for 2 nice days.

First day we were very healthy and ate fresh fish (and spinach) and walked around the lake in the rain. Then walked up a big muddy hill in the rain to get a great view of the lake. Anyone who knows me will know that if i spend about 5 minutes outside I will manage to get myself covered in mud...I was quite successful in avoiding it this time, I thank the big wooden stick I insisted on carrying around with me...My "gandalf" stick for walking purposes.
That night to ruin our healthy day me and jenny drank far to much wine and then hit a cocktail bar (mistake). Jenny fell over a number of times. I took up night jogging and we both had awful hangovers the next day that only chocolate croissants could cure. That morning we made the decision that from now on cocktails will be limited to weekends and special occassions.
we hired a boat after the hangovers passed and sailed out to an island on the lake. I discovered from this that I am actually good at rowing and docking boats. I felt like Noah from the Notebook rowing along in the rain.... To pass the time whilst rowing we recited poetry to one another. When we realised we didnt know many poems by heart we changed to song lyrics instead. It was whilst doing this that we began our obsession with Bruce Springsteen's song "The River" but replacing river for "The Lake". There is nothing that will spoil your peaceful trip to Lake Bled then bumping into 2 manx girls singing "We went down to The Lake, and into the lake we dive".

We took a trip to Lake Bohijn one day (otherwise known as lake Bon Jovi). Its probably more spectacular to look at then Bled but not in a pretty way. In a "wow look at nature" kind of way. We spent a good 4 hours walking round the lake ( I think i would have enjoyed it nore if I had a gandalf style stick again).

After consulting MSN weather we were shocked to see that Croatia had storms forecast so we would stay in Slovenia longer. We went to a town called Postojna. The only thing in this town was a cave that takes about 2 hours to see...So of course me and Jenny booked ourselves in for 2 nights to avoid storms. We stayed in a lovely hostel where we were the only people in an 8 bedroom down which had an en-suite bathroom with hairdryer and towals (no travel towal needed there). A huge double bed and a tv (you have no idea how excited we were by this TV).
We didnt find anything to do in the town. We ate ice cream in the rain. We washed everything in our bags and were shocked that it took nearly 2 days for everything to dry. We watched alot of MTV because of course Michael Jackson died so MTV played Thriller and Black and White on repeat.
The caves took all of 2 hours. Most of that time is spent on an underground train whizzing about the cave. When we went in it was a sunny friday morning. When we left there were grey ominous clouds everywhere. We started walking back to the town as quick as humanly possible but we werent quick enough. We managed to get the pack-a-macks on just as the thunder started followed imediatly by frighteningly close lightening . The rain was pouring and the hill we were running up was mid calf deep in rain water. My sandles finally got clean again !
The rest of that day was spent drying and watching Michael Jackson videos in bed.
Not ready at that point to leave Slovenia yet we headed to the coast to a little harbour town called Piran.
It is beautiful there. Little harbour filled with colourful boats. Bars and sea food restaurants along the waterfront. Lots of places to go swimming in the sea and the streets are cobbled winding streets filled with hidden bars.
The cheapest option for us there was actually to rent an apartment for a few nights. So we stayed in a little one with a gorgeous balcony where we ate breakfast abd drank wine on.
After a gorgeous sea food meal on the waterfront we ended up at a cocktail bar (it was the weekend so its allowed)where a mariarchi band showed up. I shouted Jesus (pronounced Hey-Zeus) at them all but none of them answered to that name. Or Normando for that matter.
After spending the rest of the weekend swimmibg and eating ice cream we finally left Slovenia for Croatia.

First stop is Zagreb. All we have done here is drink Croatian beer in streetside bars and people watch.
We made our own ice creams at this shop we now seem to visit everyday. Went to a zoo today and watched the Meercats and less superior animals before heading off to a waterpark/swimming pool place.

Tomorrow is to be spent walking around a national park exploring various waterfalls.

Then who knows. Maybe to the coast ?


 

 

About katie_louise


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Slovenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.