Existing Member?

Katie_Louise "The only people for me are the mad ones" - Jack Kerouac

Budapest ... Its no New Jersey

HUNGARY | Wednesday, 3 June 2009 | Views [552]

I realise I am writing this entry a week to late but there is possible way I can fit everything that happened in Budapest into this blog so I will just write down the random things that I will forget if i leave this any longer

- arrived by train from Bratislava, fun train ride that included being stared at by many Hungarian folk (me and Jenny were wearing sunglasses and painting our nails in our carriage)
- Got the wrong bus to the hostel.
- Got the right bus but got shouted at by an angry blind man.
- Met a flat faced Hungarian man who wanted to practice his English...He basically told us that Budapest is a dive that we shouldnt of come to and we should have gone to New Jersey, USA instead (he has never been to NJ...I think he is a big Springsteen fan).
- Lissa came out to meet us ... quality GT time.
- Missed the night bus home nearly every night because it stopped at stupid places (blame Europes constant construction work)...so walked around alot.
- We did a free tour ... Its no New Europe tour but I did learn some pretty intersting things about Budapest and got excited about the 1956 revolution.
- Went to the most fantastic (although very distressing) museum about the Nazi's and Communists called the House Of Terror.
- Jenny nearly had her handbag stolen one day whilst we had lunch. Luckily a Canadian girl was very observant and shouted "what the heck do you think you are doing?" at the scabby little kid (kudos to the lad though, his excuse was that he was just trying to photograph a wedding that was happening outside ... his camera wasnt even on ...cunning).
- Brought a Hungarian gas mask from the 1950s, from a hospital in the rock (Lissa looked on disapprovingly whilst me and Jenny tried on gas masks and acted like 7 year olds)
- Ate really nice goulash and as a result have now become obsessed with wanting to put Paprika on everything.
- went to a late night showing of The Wrestler and now love Micky Rourke again (been watching him when he was still attractive in Diner and Angel Heart since I got home)
- Rode around on trams with appropriate tram music (because thats what we do in new cities)
- Failed miserably in our attempts to find a community centre where they taught traditional Hungarian dance. Instead we found an amazing cocktail bar where we met a scary little dog/rat and a man called Ray (who is a musician/film maker) who spent the night telling us stories about Bob Marley (who his dad was friends with) and drinking pure rum cocktails.
- After running away from Ray we caved and had lattice fries at a certain fast food establishment which we're not meant to eat at.
- went to the Thermal Baths....Heavenly ! Boiling hot pools then freezing ones (my skin feels lovely) Saunas, healing waters, a whirl pool...fun times.
- Freaked out a Hungarian woman in the showers with "wet shower hugs" (she doesnt understand our GT ways)
- Spent an afternoon exploring on my own...very eventful. Went to Statue Park and met an artist who was doing an exhibit there so she showed me about the park, explaining the pieces to me ! Statue park was fantastic, filled with all the soviet artwork from the communist times.
- Then met 2 men who will be spending the next few years riding moterbikes around the world ... They havent been to the Isle of Man yet though (its not exactly like the Long Way Round, these 2 fellas will be riding up through South America)
- Found a church built into caves ... It was beautiful inside and I listened to Janis Joplin in there for a while on my Ipod whilst looking round ( I am sure god loves Rock N Roll).
- Walked up to the Citadel and to the statue that symbolises liberty for the Hungarian people. Amazing views from the top over both sides of the Danube)
- Turned 21 ... celebrated by eating lots of ice cream in the sunshine, drinking beer in the sunshine, eating goulash and drinking wine. Was a great birthday !

I am already forgetting loads that happened . So I have learnt my lesson...In the future write Blogs when I am actually at the place.

I am currently back home on the Isle Of Man for TT.
But I plan on leaving next week to go back to Budapest (I still need to watch some Roma bands!) then to the Balkans...Maybe.

 

About katie_louise


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.