Existing Member?

Katie_Louise "The only people for me are the mad ones" - Jack Kerouac

Welcome To Fritzl Country !

AUSTRIA | Tuesday, 19 May 2009 | Views [580] | Comments [2]

Hello, I know I start everything like this but again, I dont have long....Got to get to Bratislava today.

So basically we left Munich just under a week ago to venture to the great land that is Austria.
I have never wanted to come to Austria before nor know anything about the place but I have had a suprisingly great time here.

Salzburg reminds me of Bruges...Its incredibly pretty (The mountains look stunning and the whole town is incredibly picturesque) but hella boring. After a few hours I was ready to leave.
We stayed in a hostel there where they showed the Sound Of Music every day because Salzburg is the place where it was filmed.
My highlight of the place was being in a church where people were shooting me evil looks because my shoes clicked a little, then the priest in there pulls out his hoover and just starts cleaning up the place....Its nice to see a preist hoover...Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

We headed to Vienna in the pouring rain. First impressions were not good. I was soaking wet, Everything looked so so grey and we were staying in a crap hostel (crap...well I was on the top bunk...However the bunk beds had no ladders, they were some fun times) But the morning after we relocated to a better hostel. Everything had dried...Vienna must have done something right cos I am still here 6 days later.
The city is not as young and happening as Berlin or even Munich, but its more entertaining then Salzburg and We have had some great days seeing the place.
We went for Sacher tort on our first day...Its this world famous Vienese chocolate/sugar cake. We went to an extremely posh hotel/cafe to eat this and it was delicious.
We saw The Third Man at the cutest little cinema (Set in Vienna about conman Harry Lime) and for days after watching this me and Jenny are still singing the theme music and debating whether or not its wrong to fancy Orson Welles (?)
We have been to some traditional little Austrian bars...They are usuallv in cellars (or gardens in nice weather) and you basically just drink mugs of wine in them and eat schnitzel. tasty.
We have visited quite a few art galleries...some interesting, some not so interesting. We acted all intelligent at the Belvedere and examined brush strokes on Monet´s from close then afar. I had no idea what I was talking about though however its nice to soud knowlegable about art.
We went to tha palace (Where one day I shall live!) and played in the Labyrinthe ...We also sat in the gardens and watched this woman who looks like dead soul singer James Brown, doing her exercises.

The people here are also suprisingly nice. I had heard that austrians are usually quite gruzmpy people but on the first day I started coughing on the U Bahn and this little lady came over to give me a cough sweet then chat to us about directions and how we´re liking Vienna.

One thing I have noticed about Austria though is that the graffitti is rubbish....Not a patch on Berlins...where are the 6s and the El Bocho´s ? Best bit of graffitti is from when we just came over the border and some one had simply wrote ... "Welcome to Fritzl Country"

 

Comments

1

Orson Welles?! Was he a looker then?

Loving the blog btw :D

  Katherine May 20, 2009 10:02 PM

2

loving reading yuor blog ,and keeping up with your adventures ,take care xxxxxx

  eve May 21, 2009 1:48 AM

About katie_louise


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.