Existing Member?

Elective Adventure

12. First visitor

USA | Friday, 12 February 2010 | Views [308]

Michelle and I at the La Roux concert, Webster Hall, NY

Michelle and I at the La Roux concert, Webster Hall, NY

I spent the last week in the body reading room with some really nice Doctors, who were very helpful and willing to teach. Just like in the chest reading room, I don’t think saw a normal scan. Very educational, but not at all the highlight of my week.

A friend of ours, Michelle, arrived on Tuesday afternoon. We know her from Sydney but she has recently moved to Arizona with her fiancé, who we are expecting tonight (Friday). They’re visiting for Valentine’s Day, how romantic! So Dave and I have played tour guide for Michelle this week. This is what we’ve been up to:

Tuesday: Walk to Union Square and further on to City Bakery for their famous hot chocolate. Again, we couldn’t finish our small cups – pure, thick melted chocolate, complete with 2 HUGE marshmallows that melt and go gooey… Mmmm, delicious but sickly.

Tuesday night, dinner at The Smith in East Village. Very cool place, diner-like, good food, and friendly staff. Our waiter was extra bubbly, and blatantly laughed at us at one stage… no idea why, perhaps the accent? Strange. We then walked up to Coffee Shop in Union Square for a drink – a favourite of ours that we wanted to share with Michelle – followed by a cab ride to the meatpacking area to show her the rooftop of the Gansevoort Hotel. Very fun night.

Gansevoort Hotel rooftop bar, Meatpacking district, NY

On the way home we were peckish and stopped in at our favourite local pizza joint, Artichoke, for their famous spinach and artichoke pizza. We passed a crowd of girls and a lone boy walking out as we went in, and on closer inspection recognized the bloke. It was the guy who plays Erik Van derWoodson on Gossip Girl. OMG! I love the show, and was not going to miss the chance for a photo, so after school-girlishly, hand-over-mouth, whispering “Is it him?”, I ran up the street, tapped him on the arm and asked for photo. He was so lovely and obliging, saying, “Anything for Australians.”

The snow had started to fall gently on Tuesday evening, and by Wednesday morning the streets were covered with 8 inches. We were awake at about 10 and wandered up the road to Westville East for brunch. We watched as the snow got harder and harder. Dave had some conference calls to get home for afterwards, so Michelle and I caught a cab uptown to the Guggenheim Museum. Wow, I love that place, but the performance art in the lobby was a little shocking – a man and woman basically making love but with their clothes on, in full view of everyone - kids walked past staring and parents tried to shield their eyes.

We moved on to Central Park. It was so romantic! Snow falling, squirrels scurrying for cover, dogs bounding along getting their legs stuck every few gallops, kids sledding down the hill beside the Met, skiers gliding through the powder (jealous!). Then we had lunch and a vino at The Boathouse – stunning! Great view over the frozen pond, amazing food and service, and so cozy, with its open fireplace in the bar area.

Me, outside The Boathouse, Central Park, NY

Thursday: I went to the hospital in the morning, and Dave walked with Michelle through Chelsea and the Flatiron district. She then went uptown and joined a SATC tour. On her return, the 3 of us went to Angelica Kitchen for dinner, a cute vegetarian café. I have no idea what it was that we were eating, but it tasted OK. Then Michelle and I ventured over to Webster Hall for the La Roux concert. So much fun! I felt like a college kid. The hall was dingy and dark and kids wafted past smoking their joints, but when La Roux arrived the crowd hushed, then screamed the lyrics along with her. Great night!

La Roux, Webster Hall

Today (Friday) we’ve walked through the Meatpacking area, walked along the Highline (I finally got to do it!), through Washington Square Park, been for a shop along Broadway and stopped into Balthazar for coffee and pastries. Andrew lands at around 11pm tonight, and won’t arrive here till about 12.30am. I’ve reserved a table at the Stanton Social for 1am as it will only be 10pm his time (Pacific). Now it’s time for a disco nap…

Michelle, Dave and I in the Meatpacking District, NY

About kath_atkins


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.