Existing Member?

Elective Adventure

2. Battling the bitter cold in the name of shopping

USA | Sunday, 3 January 2010 | Views [324] | Comments [2]

Walking south along Broadway, NoHo

Walking south along Broadway, NoHo

Urgh, horrible night's sleep. Woke every hour between 11pm and 3am, so decided at 3 to get up, have a hot chocolate and instead of tossing and turning, thinking about what I wanted to do the following day, actually wrote a list. Really, it only comprised of shops that I wanted to visit, as well as a reminder to buy panadol and toothpaste. Not feeling satified (or tired) I watched some telly, and finally must have slipped away. Woke up at 11am! Fabulous! Soo refreshed.

Quest to find a good coffee joint near my place. Tried Veselka this morning, a well known 24hr diner serving Ukranian food, and not fabulous coffee. Still for $1.25 it was bearable... however, I think I'll keep looking.

Walked over to Broadway and followed it south to SoHo. Found a Body Shop store to search for mum's Olive Oil moisterising spray (which apparently you can't get anymore in Aus), and what do you know?, they had it! Sprayed myself with the tester and smelled like mum all day. It's been great! Smell is so powerful, I feel as if you're here with me, Mum XOXO!!

Continued shopping along Broadway and am really happy with my purchases. Love shopping here. Bonded with an Aussie girl in a shoe shop who wanted to try on some "in the biggest size you have". We both sat waiting for the man to come back with our 41's (even though I know 41 usually don't fit, I still thought I'd try), he came back to us both saying they only had 40's left in our choices. We rolled eyes to each other. It's horrible being a bigfoot.

It's 20 Farenheit today, about -5 celcius, and really windy! Horrible. I am actually scared that my nose is going to fall off from frostbite! I've bought a beret and a funny ear cover thingy, have long gloves, a thick coat, and a heavy scarf, am wearing layers and am still FREEZING! It was not pleasant being outside today. Will buy a metrocard the next time I venture out as it's just too uncomfortable walking the city. As much as I love it, the subway will be a welcomed reprieve. Good thing I only have to go 2 blocks to get to the hospital!

Got home at 5pm, and was shocked at how fast the day went. Received a lovely surprise in the form of a call from Dave. Great to hear your voice! Dinner, shower and now for some last minute study, and to prepare my outfit and bag for tomorrow. Fingers crossed tonight's a better sleep.



Love the blog idea Kath - keep the updates coming although you can have the cold. Enjoy!

  Dan Jan 4, 2010 11:30 AM


Looking forward to the next installment... Stay warm and have fun!

  Lynn Jan 4, 2010 12:16 PM

About kath_atkins

Where I've been


Photo Galleries

My trip journals



Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.