Existing Member?

Kathryn and Charlotte's Australasia Fun! Look at moi! Look at moi!

Awesome

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 11 May 2009 | Views [285]

Not updated this for a while because we've been busy settling into Melbourne life. Charlotte and I are still working at the Red Cross Monday to Friday, with some very entertaining workmates. I swear I'm going blind processing these cheques, but the money every Friday makes it worthwhile.

Paula arrived a couple of weeks ago - cue a tour of the sights (namely the library and Cotton On) and many a drunken night out. She managed to bag herself a room in an apartment with Russell - a friend of a friend from Edinburgh. The apartment is right on the Docklands so a great view of the waterfront with its floor to ceiling windows. And here I am in my twin room with Charlotte. Luck of the draw.

We went to Madame Brussels last Friday - a much-talked about rooftop bar with a fake lawn and tennis-clad bar staff. This was wasted on us as we'd had a few too many vodka and pineapples at Jolene's beforehand. Best part of the night was Paula stumbling to the ground amongst a crowd of people. Got her home safe in a taxi straight after.

We also went on a wine tour a couple of Sundays ago. Very early start to meet the bus and enjoy our first vino by 1030am - normally I'm at church! We learned how to hold the glass, check the legs, sniff and taste. We were too ladylike to spit into a bucket so it all went down rather nicely. We had a great lunch at our second winery - where the RSPCA were hosting a benefit at the same time. Kathryn Mc suggested crashing it but soon changed her mind when she learned it was to commemorate the animals lost in the bushfires. The Yarra Valley area was heavily damaged. Even a warehouse at our fourth and last stop, Chandon, had burned down and trees were still black. No wonder we needed a drink. We toasted to Rachael and Shane getting married at this stop, before clutching our bought fudge and heading back into Melbourne on the bus. Only Paula and I stayed awake on this trip - photos to follow.

Counter-balancing all this wine and fudge by joining the gym. Between myself, Charlotte, Kathryn Mc and Jolene we're managing to get a few classes in. I've even got a personal trainer called Daniel who made me run up stairs clutching 5kgs in each hand. I hate him. There is a lot of 'awesome' flying around Fitness First, and our combat instructor often yells out 'switcharoo'. Worth every penny.

Also been to St Patrick's Cathedral which is stunning - inside and out. Jolene and I visited the casino at Crown - a huge complex with a fair few obese people wandering around. It houses lots of shops, cinema, bars, restaurants and several floors of slot machines and other gambling. Our first stop was roulette table to place all our money ($10 pooled between us) on even red. What came up - black 13. We laughed and just had to walk away. Croupier rolled her eyes. Jolene was invited to dinner by a 90 year old electrician called Tom. And she complains she never gets chatted up.

Charlotte's off this afternoon to be an extra in a movie which is very exciting. Neighbours next. Despite perfecting Whitney's I Will Always Love You we discovered we were not eligible to audition for Australian Idol because we're not residents. Will have to seek fame some other way. As Charlotte keeps reminding me, no one knows us over here.

Off to the football tonight at Etihad Stadium. Perfect evening for watching men run around in shorts.

Bye for now

Kathryn xx

About kath_and_kim


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.