Existing Member?

Life is a journey......

Barcelona and surrounding beaches

SPAIN | Monday, 29 July 2013 | Views [360]

Liddle Fact:  Antoni Gaudí was a Spanish Catalan architect born in Reus, in the Catalonia region of Spain. Gaudí's works reflect his highly individual and distinctive style and are largely concentrated in the Catalan capital of Barcelona, notably his magnum opus, the Sagrada Família.

 
After a little bit of coaxing and the promise of a coffee on the beach, Kate managed to have Hilary up and in her running gear by 9am, a very early start. We jogged along a lovely path near the beach spotting the cafe we would return to for our coffee. After 5km, a tad sweaty, we sat at the cafe on the beach and ordered ourselves dos espresso, dos aqua and dos orange juice.  The barman checked around 4 times that we wanted the OJ, we were certain, turns out he had to do it manually (oops).  This did not stop him from asking us to stay when we went to leave - so lovely! We strolled back to our camper along the beach, stopping momentarily for a quick dip, our energetic morning was very rejuvenating.
 
Next on our agenda was Barcelona! Hilary having been there before had the insider knowledge and proved to be an excellent tour guide. She knew exactly where Zara, H&M and the boutique shops in the old town were. So yes, more shopping. We also admired some of Gaudi's work and explored the endless cobbled streets. And we couldn't resist a few more tapas! 
 
We continued up the coast with our sights set on a campsite that boasted 4 private beaches in its description. We were not disappointed. Set on a hill overlooking the ocean the campsite had a wonderful atmosphere. We meandered down a somewhat steep hill to The Beach Club to enjoy dinner and a hard earned sangria at a table right on the beach.  We tackled a mighty steep climb back to the campsite, we wandered into the bar and found that there was some live Spanish music and Flamenco dancing which a large crowed had gathered to watch which was very unexpected. 
 
As always we awoke and devised a great little plan.... today it was to seek out another beach cafe. We descended the steep hill to one of the beaches, it was the smallest and we hope would link to the beach with the cafe. As we emerged from the dense palm trees at the bottom of the steps what first caught our eye was a full frontal of a man and woman and then we had a good look around, has it a guess where we had found ourselves? We politely asked a couple whether we could access the other beach, without looking of course. To cut a long story short we walked around, we walked back, we walked up, we walked down, to no avail, the cafe's on the beach open at 11.00! We'd worked up an insatiable appetite, we returned to the campsite to find breakfast being served 20 metres from our camper.  We then joined the nudie's on the beach to work on our all over tan.... Just joking! 

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.