Existing Member?

Life is a journey......

Granada and the South coast to Alicante

SPAIN | Monday, 29 July 2013 | Views [376]

What may be factual information: The serving of tapas is designed to encourage conversation because people are not so focused upon eating an entire meal that is set before them. Also, in some countries it is customary for diners to stand and move about while eating tapas.
 
From Gibraltar we headed to Granada with a quick stop off at Marbella for the most amazing lunch which entailed fish, chicken and ravioli. We didn't stay long as it was full of tourists and the beach was nothing to write home about. 
 
We arrived in Granada to a tiny campsite with a cozy feel to it, with its mosaic tiles and luscious foliage. We quickly jumped in the pool as it had been a hot day driving, we then hit the showers as with all the swimming it had been a while. 
 
The city was easily accessible by bus right at the doorstep.  We hot tailed it at around 9.30, dinner time these days, into Granada to relish in our first real Tapas. With the reward of a delectable tapas with every drink order it was hard not to gulp the Spanish wines down.  
 
The next morning we drove into to town to find the bus station for kimmy to make her way to Madrid. Hilary and Kate enjoyed a rather large tortilla each and some espressos whilst Kim sorted her bus. We then said short goodbyes as we would be seeing Kim again in a few days!  It was a brilliant week Kimmy, thank you!
 
With just the 2 of us back in Lilly Pad we drove from Granada along the coastline stopping for lunch at an outdoor cafe on the beach with the locals and our first traditional paella. As per usual we could not resist a dip in the ocean before hitting the road again, so a swift change into our togs and we were in...... And even more swiftly we were out! Hilary had felt something brush against her hand and then her thigh, as we emerged from the water there it was, the warning sign by way of a flag with jelly fish pictured on it.  Lesson learned! We probably should have also taken note that no one else was in the water. 
 
We continued up the coast and randomly selecting a campsite to stop at in a sweet town called Santa Pola. Camping Bahia was home for the next 2 nights.  
 
Beach umbrella and sarongs in hand we walked the 10 minutes into town and sort out Carmen, a restaurant recommended by the man at the campsite. We immediately could see that we were the only foreigners in the town, the restaurant was a local hangout with some interesting pastries that we couldn't resist.   We spent a total of 4 euros on our pastries and coffee and felt like we were getting the authentic Spanish experience. 
 
This Spanish experience continued as we arrived on the beach.  It was packed with Spanish people of all ages, shapes and sizes. We especially liked the little old ladies flaunting their skinny legs and round bellies. There were old men playing cards and dominos under umbrellas, families and boobies it was mayhem in the best way possible. We snapped up a hammock each under an umbrella and settled in for the day next to 2 gorgeous older ladies who desperately wanted to speak to us. With the hammock attendant playing interpreter we finally communicated that we were Australian.  They queried whether there was sun in Australia?? We came to the conclusion, after being offered sunscreen, that they were very concerned about our skin, bless! 
 
We played a game of makeshift charades with our new found friends to arrange for them to mind our possy whilst we went for lunch at a local spot right on the beach, mere moments away. 
 
The atmosphere at the bar/restaurant was hustling and bustling with elderly men standing at the bar wearing only their budgie smugglers having beer and tapas, sangria and wine at every table. We ordered Calamari which was divine and couldn't go past some more paella. We had certainly become accustomed to the Spanish way of life.
 
We returned to our lovely ladies snoring away, our spot was all ours still, they'd made our day :) 
 
 
 

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.