Existing Member?

Life is a journey......

Southern Portuguese adventures with Kimmy

SPAIN | Monday, 29 July 2013 | Views [378]

Fact:  Cape St Vincent  is a headland in the municipality of Sagres, in the Algarve, southern Portugal. It is the south-westernmost point in Portugal.   The cliffs rise nearly vertically from the Atlantic to a height of 75 meters.

 
After a rather long swim and relax at a beautiful beach just outside Lisbon Kim and Hilary hit the road again to meet Kate at Faro airport. When we reunited we shared the tales of our adventures, with all that had happened you would have thought weeks had gone by (it was however, only 3 days!!)
 
The next day we had a relaxing morning which entailed breakfast and coffee while catching up with friends and families via our various means of communication, we also managed a Skype date with Hannah to view the baby bump! We then finally got on our way, it was nice to have the 3 of us in the front of the car with some good tunes. At times we gave up on Mio for directions and decided to do it the old fashioned way. Kim being confident with her navigational skills took charge, however, her quick judgments never seemed to take us the right way! 
 
We had not driven far when we decided that it was time to stop in Lagos for a swim and some lunch.  We immediately found a great little cruisy cafe which had hammocks, couches and a lovely garden and was playing some reggae music. After we had eaten too much once again (we need to stop ordering on very empty stomaches) we did a quick change into our bikinis and hit the beach! It was refreshing to jump into the clear aqua water and escape from the heat.  
 
We returned back to the car and changed into our clothes in the underground car park pondering whether the security cameras could see us? 
 
With some local knowledge under our belt of some secluded beaches we headed towards the west coast with the idea of potentially parking and camping on the beach.  We stopped briefly to admire the views from the sheer cliffs of Sagres on our way through. Then after a few wrong turns and some bush tracks we arrived at this beautiful coved beach just as the sun was setting.  Thank you Salvador and Pedro, Kim's Portuguese friends, who informed us of this place. 
 
The secret beach was called Vale Figueira shhhhhh .....don't tell anyone else;) There was a total of 7 others on the beach; some local fisherman and some others in a camper van who later approached us to query how 3 Aussies had found out about their secret camping spot.  
 
We watched the sun setting over the water then set up camp for the night.  It wasn't the most relaxing sleep we had had in Lilly Pad there were some early morning fisherman making all sorts of noise and some cops shinning lights into our window in the wee hours of the morning. This was soon forgotten when we woke the next day to the sounds and views of the ocean.  After a swim and some exercise on the beach we headed for the south coast of Spain. 
 

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.