Existing Member?

Life is a journey......

Indulging in San Sebastián

SPAIN | Monday, 22 July 2013 | Views [340]

San Sebastián, and the Basque Country as a whole, are very well known for their pintxos! They are related to tapas, the main difference being that pintxos are usually 'spiked' with a skewer or toothpick.
 
The campsite was up the mountain with beautiful views of the surrounding countryside and the ocean.  Once we arrived we suddenly got very confused as to where we were?? There were more Aussies and Kiwis than Spanish people! We could hardly understand them from their thick accent. Well.... the Kiwis anyway. 
 
The next morning after a slice of tortilla (potato omelette Spanish style)for breakfast we walked down the mountain to the beach. After a swim and a laze around we decided to have lunch at a cafe on the beach.  We were quickly reminded of the laid back nature of the Spanish people and decided to embrace this taking a 2 hour lunch break with some sparkling wine (no wonder they have to have a siesta!!) 
 
After lunch it took a little while to get going so we slowly strolled through the streets and came across some great little boutique dress shops, which was very handy as Kate needed a dress for Dave's brothers wedding the next weekend. The ladies in the shops were overly helpful offering their assistance zipping and unzipping, finding shoes and complimenting in broken English, so sweet. 
 
After testing every shop in San Sebastián we returned to the first shop and bought the first dress that Kate tried on (always the way!!) Kate looked stunning with her Spanish tan against the bright satin yellow dress. 
 
With shopping bags in hand we headed to the best place for Pintxos in town "Bar Zeruko".  Hilary fought her way through the crowds to the bar to gather our culinary delights. Although we were unable to identify the bite sized pieces we were consuming our taste buds were excited and very pleased. On reflection of our day we decided that it was one of the most indulgent girls day out we had in a while; beach, long lunch with bubbles, shopping and tasty nibbles with some fine wine:) 
 
Thank you San Sebastián!
 
All we can say for day 2 in San Sebastián is that another great day was had..... Topped off with a beach picnic - we could have done without the full frontal view of a not so attractive hairy, naked man who emerged confidentially from the water and greeted us. Needless to say appetites were lost! 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.