Existing Member?

Life is a journey......

Stunning Cinque Terre

ITALY | Saturday, 15 June 2013 | Views [697] | Comments [2]

We arrived off the train in Riomaggiore and had a spectacular view from the platform of the station (photo opportunity). This was only the beginning!!
 
We were quickly introduced to the stairs and hills of Riomaggiore, carrying our pack up and up, we later realised that this was only a small taste compared to the mountains of the Cinque Terre track! 
 
The next day we followed the stairs down the quaint narrow winding paths to the main street for breakfast, much needed fuel before we headed off on our trek. We found out that unfortunately the first part of the coastal track was closed due to a land slide in 2012 so on the advice of our hotel we decided to take the inland mountain track from Riomaggiore to Corniglia.
 
We were warned that the track would be very busy, however as we tackled the first part of our journey we met only one other person (a fool like us). We quickly discovered why! We climbed straight up the side of a mountain and started to feel we weren't as fit as one would have thought.  At times it was hard to even see where the path was. The stairs seemed to wind up the mountains forever taking our breath away, not only from exertion, but also from the spectacular views.  Needless to say  the beauty of it all distracted us  from the puffing and leg shaking and awakening of unused muscles.  We soldiered on (taking photos every 2minutes, also a good excuse to rest) and arrived safely in Corniglia 2 and 1/2 hours later. 
 
After all that exercise we sat down to a well deserved plate of gnocchi - yum!! We decided to tackle just one more section of the track before calling it a day. We walked from Corniglia to Vernazza - only 1 and 1/2 hours
 
Along the narrow path we came across very friendly people from all parts of the world (lots of Aussies and Kiwi's), we found  it hard not to get a little too friendly as we negotiated the paths suited for only one. We headed home from Monterosso on the train.
 
Thursday was a more relaxing affair.  We caught the ferry from Riomaggiore to Vernazza and walked only 3.5km to Monterosso.    All hot and sweaty the pristine, blue water was calling our names. Only problem was we needed to change into our togs.  We found a suitable(ish) spot tucked away (sort of) under a bridge. The thing was we could still see the whole beach, do you think they could see us? We did it anyway :)  And was it worth it? You bet ya! 
 
We returned to Rio, not without missing 3 trains, whilst standing at the station. Only we could manage it. Surprisingly for the first time on our trip Hilary was busting for the loo! We pulled into Rio she grabbed the keys and ran for it! Up the quaint narrow winding paths she went, but with the stress and pressure of needing to go the paths are confusing, turning this way and that (and occasionally stopping to cross the legs) she reached the top in a record time! Bet you thought she piddled her pants, maybe she did? you'll never know... 
 
We visited the local deli and collected some goodies; pesto, olives, anchovies, cheese, bread and wine were in the mix. We headed to the Castle at the top of Rio and settled in for our picnic and a picturesque sunset. What a delightful way to end our Cinque Terre adventure. 

Comments

1

I bet she did!! What an amazing place - looks like you're having a fantastic time - can't wait for the next installment. Love to you both K & D

  Kerry Cornish Jun 15, 2013 10:18 AM

2

HiIlary pee pants

Togs? Blahdy Aussie slang! x

  David Jun 15, 2013 8:51 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.