Existing Member?

Learning to spell like Lawrence

Impossible things before breakfast

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Friday, 21 June 2013 | Views [319]

English afternoon sun is streaming into Gary's sixth floor London apartment. I'm listening to Mogwai- glorious Glaswegian post-rock, soaking up sun and feeling quite exhausted.

Three days ago we arrived in Dubai, where we were greeted by Angeline and the question 'so what do you want to do first- skiing or water slides?'

Angeline we know through running at Melbourne Uni, where she joins us for a month or two each year when she returns to visit family. She is wonderfully welcoming, introducing us to her two beautiful sons and showing us the sights.

The first evening we fight off jet lag walking through the Mall of the Emirates. I wouldn't normally gravite towards a shopping mall, but then in Auwouldn't fit would not be kitted out with a multi storey aquarium, an ice skating rink, and shoes that would make Marie Antoinette collapse with sheer delight. On the way there, we pass what is currently the worlds highest building. It stretches kilometres up and is quite beautiful against tdeed exert night sky. Asymmetrical, a little gothic and a little Gotham City.

This is a city which, according the the eposts we speak with, has largely sprung from the sand over the last twelve or so years and which is the product of a very small, very wealthy native population bolstreed by a majority of labourers from India, Africa and the Philippines. A constitutional monarchy, where the lack of democracy no count creates significant problems for the workers who sweat it out for a pittance under the beating sun, but where things - big things, crazy things - get done.

The following day we enjoy a beautiful Lebanese breacooked prepaid by Angeline - za'atar coated flat breads with fresh tomato, mint, cucumber and olives grown on her family estate in Lebanon. Then indoor skiing, followed by a visit to a water slide park on steroids. Here the rides come with warnings like 'persons with fear of heights, enclosed spaces, high speeds or proximity sharks should not ride'. Sharks? Yes, sharks.

In the evening, a track session with the ABRaS - running club which Angeline coaches. Matt and I struggle around repeats of 200m, 1000m and 400m in over 30 degree heat and 85% humidity. Everyone else complains about the heat too, although they seem better able to handle it.

On, then, to London, where bikes will be put together and the pedalling commence.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.