Existing Member?

Livin' The Dream Here's to living the dream along side the incredible women at Give A Heart To Africa. I am thankful.

Entry No. 2

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 8 February 2017 | Views [237]

Day Three of Teaching: February 8th, 2017

 

A much better start to the day, thankfully.

It is amazing what an eye mask can do to one’s sleep capacity.

This morning, I completed an hour of mathematics very similar to my first day with group one. To get a better understanding of the level each student was at, I assigned an assessment of equations (addition, subtraction, estimation, multiplication and division) – for group two. Group two has been constructed based on their English proficiency but also willingness to engage in class discussion. They are wonderful to teach.

Don’t get me wrong, this opportunity as a whole, is a wonderful teaching experience. However, while I am able to start from the basics and really build the knowledge of group one, I am able to have more fun and flexibility with group two.

Eighteen Students.

And I thought Group One was ambitious. Eighteen students in a classroom that is meant to fit 12 respectfully, is a tight squeeze. But that doesn’t stop these women; no matter if they are sitting on your neighbors lap, they will be there.  Ready.

The powerful thing about this particular program is giving the women an environment where they feel safe to learn. Education here is much different than the United States, or anywhere in the world for that matter (present day). In school, young girls are often hit with a ruler on the hand if they answer a question incorrectly or make a mistake. The women that come through this program are often very timid and shy to answer questions, worried of potentially answering it wrong.  

I want to try and change that.

So, during each introduction of students, I have (and will continue to) set the expectations of the classroom:

- Try your best and if you make a mistake, it is okay! Try again.

- If you don’t understand, ask the teacher(s).

- Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

- Have fun.

... Oh and write in pencil.

That’s the thing about math; it can be a bit messy. And I probably will continue to remind the women in this program is that their notebooks are not going to be perfectly neat, and that is okay too.

English Conversation.

As part of our jobs as being the teacher, we must continue to engage the students in English conversation, in and out of the classroom. Just before our math lesson was ending for the day, I asked the students if they had any questions – and rather than getting questions about the math assessment we had reviewed, I got many more questions about myself…

What is your favorite fruit?  I loved this question in particular because when I answered 'Mango and Pineapple here is delicious', they all smiled and clapped as if they were betting on my response. But it gets even better when they asked what is your favorite food in Tanzania? And I answered Chapatti (it’s like if pita bread and a corn tortilla had a baby as Lucy says) – They all laughed and cheered. I always enjoy watching the students reactions when I say something on the funny side, or just in general.

Break.

As I sat on the landing outside the classroom, grading the assessments I had passed out in class, I was mesmerized by my surroundings. Upendo, a student in my classroom, was sitting in the doorway of the children’s room, learning how to bead a bracelet while entertaining her eight-month-old baby. Another student, Hidaya is walking around with her partially-made bracelet as her one-year-old sleeps peacefully on her back. Joshua, a two year old, is running around, trying to entertain himself while Mary, the child caregiver, cleans. When he sat down next to me, I thought it was a curiosity of what I was doing, but no. He wanted my phone! He wanted a picture taken of himself, but wouldn’t sit still for it.

End Break.

When I get back into Vocations, I decided that I was going to do more than just sit at the head of the class and talk to them in English – I was going to have them teach me, how to make the bracelet they were learning.  Man, was I glad I did.

It was a rewarding experience, both interacting with the women and actually creating something material out of the day. The bracelet that I made, as well as any other the women have made, will be brought to the organization’s co-op Moshi Mamas where it will be sold to help benefit our students.  

About katedunlevy

Margaret, our wonderful cook. She's done so much to create a better life for her and her son and I admire her for that.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.