Existing Member?

One heartbeat at a time

Empty and Ready

THAILAND | Monday, 20 October 2008 | Views [262] | Comments [2]

As I sit here on my computer for the last time before my big adventure, I can see the wind gusting and leaves raining down from the old birch tree in front of our house. It is a quintessential overcast day in Portland, and the penetrating chill of the damp Northwest air makes it hard to believe that there might be sunshine warming the skies in any other crevasse of the world.

In Native American practices, Winter is associated with the Northern direction. It represents a time of emptiness and death where we go inside and clear our minds for what is to come. Today, as I prepare to take off to an unknown land where I will know no one, no direction or even the language, I feel as I close my eyes and see darkness, the vast expanse of nothingness. It is a blank slate that connects me to what I imagine as both the beginning of time and the infinite loop of time eternal. I am ready for my next blind step forward into the unknown.

Comments

1

I will be reading. you are such a beautiful writer....you are on a big adventure that is for sure! be safe!

  bettie ward Oct 21, 2008 4:50 AM

2

I agree...you are a beautiful writer...keep writing! Your entry has inspired me!

  Serah Oct 21, 2008 9:32 AM

About kataotto


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.