Existing Member?

Nocona

With the Greeks

GREECE | Monday, 27 February 2012 | Views [570]

I took the train from Athens to Larissa and sat next to an old woman who every now and then made a comment to me to which I politely responded. An hour before we arrived she took out an apple, peeled it, and handed half of it to me. She then showed me pictures of her sons and their families and asked me about where I was going and my family and such. She was a complete stranger. I do not know her name and I would not be able to pick her face out of a room full of strangers. But I cherish that moment because she showed me kindness without any reason to. That is what our modern technological world has lost. Fleeting moments of unimportant chatter. Though seemingly insignificant, they change you. Old Greece is still brimming with these. A conversation on a bus ride, an invitation into a home from someone who knows nothing about you, yet wants to learn more, to exchange stories with a complete stranger. That is what traveling is about. Whatever your reason for travelling – whether it be to go see ancient ruins in Egypt, or to go clubbing in London – don’t forget to talk. Talk with the locals, talk with other travelers, talk your way through your travels. Connect with those who live differently than you do, whose lives are full of experiences you have never had. You may be a globetrotter who has visited more places than most have even heard of, who has rafted down the Nile in Uganda, admired the Mona Lisa in Paris, and taken a cooking class in Thailand. But the Nile is just a river, the Mona Lisa just a painting, and phad thai is just noodles. If the only thing you are interested in is checking experiences off a list, you will leave the same foreigner you came in as. 

 

About kasolheim


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.