Existing Member?

My Empty Wallet Can Take Me Farther

Catching a Moment - Catching Fairy's Dusts

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 18 April 2013 | Views [199] | Scholarship Entry

As soon as we noticed our potato chip packs had ballooned, we knew that we're getting on a higher elevation and sooner we'll be reaching Baguio City; Philippine Summer Capital. After several hours of bus ride and reconnecting with my inner self while playing bossa novas, I can notice from the bus window the rolling terrains, undulating hills, and green lushes of the Cordilleran Mountains. As we trace the MacArthur Highway which is aligned the mountain contours, I purposely slide up the window to feel the Cordillera's atmosphere, smell the scent of Pines, and overlook vegetable gardens in sloping terrains.

We, together with friends, arrived at the hotel at witching hours. We reserved a room at Raja Soliman Hotel, an old-manor-inspired bed and breakfast. A sala-themed lobby, wooden florings, abstract pastel canvases impressed the feeling that you never leave home. It is not as luxurious as other hotels in Baguio but this fits our wallets as students looking for adventures, stories, and experiences rather than luxuries. Chicken Adobo, a classic Filipino dinner was served and partnered with heavy rice loading up for a night out.

Taxi's flag-rate is just less than a dollar so I courageously claim the fare as my treat. The fusion of urbanity and the mountain setting had amused all of us. The smoke of an outdoor grill and the chill of the evening breeze had embraced us as we stepped out of the taxi. The ardent lights of the posts, blooming flowers, and the still lagoon had complimented to the melodramatic walk of camaraderie. I noticed their slow walking speed. I'm ahead of them of about 5 meters and I asked them why and to my surprise they just simply answered me; "Because we're at the park." That gave me a strike of always rushing things.

I noticed that time is running out and curfew is coming soon so I rushed them to a mall on the hill. I wasn't rushing for nothing. I just ignored their murmurings until we reached the top floor of the mall and overlook the city from the veranda. "It's worth the walk as their silence means. The mountain is lit with houses and buildings' lights displaying a festive and flamboyant colors. Our smiles were like adventurers dazzled by the fairy's dusts. I forgot to bring a jacket but their company and happiness had warmed my heart.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About kasinga_gala


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.