Existing Member?

wandering Ka

In Kathmandu, remembering Tibet

NEPAL | Saturday, 18 September 2010 | Views [576]

I didn't have the chance to write in Tibet because of the bad internet connection and the difficulty of writing about Tibet in chinese's land. 

It was quite impressive. I was on a tour group (travelling in Tibet is not free, you have to be part of a group and get a "Travel Permit" that makes this destination a bit expensive) of 4 people, plus other 4 on a different group. We all met in Chengdu. My group was formed of a Dutch couple, Lee, from England, and me. In the other group were a Swiss couple, Emma, from NZ, and Hilde, dutch, that is with me in Kathmandu now.

The train trip from Chengdu to Lhasa was amazing. 44 hours on a train and I wished it was longer. The landscape in Tibet is spectacular and I met a couple of tibet guys on the train that made the trip more interesting (a bit of a shame that their English wasn't very good, but we managed to exchange a few words).

I could describe Tibet as amazing landscape, with lovely people and bright colours.

Lhasa is a wonderful town, with a Tibet old centre full of pilgrims that prostrate and do their Kora (a pilgrimage) around the Jokhang, the main temple. Their devotion is touching. There are also a lot of chinese tourists, that you can avoid if you go to the smaller temples (like the Drepung Monastery).

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE AR-SA /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

After 4 days in Lhasa we left for the Himalayas. We visited the Samye Monastery, about 3 hours from the capit. It is Tibet's first monastery but at that point I had enough of monasteries so I went hiking on one of the surrounding picks instead. With Lee. Amazing view. The dirty road to reach the monastery goes through rivers and amazing mountains and from the top of the pick you could enjoy the same scenery. With the usual colourful flags to prey for protection against earthquakes and floodings (at least this is what our wonderful guide told me).

On the way to Gyantse, we stopped at the Yamdrok tse (one of the 4 holy lakes in Tibet). Its water is of an amazing turquois colour, and when I first saw it I understood why they consider it holy. It has something of magic in it. It's just a shame you can't bath in its waters...

Gyantse is a nice small city with an interesting old town, with unpaved streets and cows and sheep wandering around. It also has one of the most famous monasteries, not visited.

On the evening of the 6th day we arrived in Shigatse. There is the only monastery that hasn't been destroyed by the cultural revolution. Nice view of the old town from the hill behind the monastery. When I walked in its narrow lanes all I could see were high white walls and wild dogs. All the houses are surrounded by these walls, which makes it impossible to see them from the street.

The following day we left for the Everest Base Camp. I good 8 hours drive. But again amazing landscape, that make the journey incredibly pleasant. Once we got at our tent (called Tibet Hotel, while our friends' tent was "Himalaya Grand Hotel" .. I found it quite funny) we walked about 1 hour to get to the Everest Base Camp. It's not easy to walk at an altitude of 5150 m. We were lucky because on our way there the Everest got cleared from the clouds and we could take a couple of pictures, while from the EBC we couldn't see anything. But still, nice walk. A bit chilly actually. The tent where we stayed reminded me of the bedouins' tent where I stayed in Wadi Rum, but inside was amazingly warm and with nice beds and tables where we ate and chatted before going to bed.

No sunrise view of the Mt. Everest. It was actually raining in the morning. So we drove to the border with Nepal. The first 3 hours were in a dirty road and we had a few adventures. The first time we stopped to help another 4x4 to get out of a hole in the road. It was so nice to see all the passengers of 3 jeeps to help to get rocks to fill in the hole so that other 4x4 wouldn't get stuck. The second time it was us who stopped. The driver of the 4x4 following us advised of a problem with I don't know what. And again everyone was helping out. The usual amazing landscape, that you can't get bored of, and tents of nomads and people walking in the middle of what to me seemed nowhere.

In the evening we reached Zhangmu, also called Dram in Tibetan and Khasa in Nepalese. One single small road that goes down the valley, with buildings on each side of it, cars parked everywhere and so many trucks as I have never seen in my life, that cause a terrible traffic. During the last hour to get there the landscape had changed drastically, it already seemed a different country. From the deserted mountains of the tibetan plateau we drove through rainforest and waterfalls. Many chinese and nepaleses live there. Really, not the classic tibetan town.

Last night in Tibet. A bit sad to leave. At the border our guide had wet eyes and me with her. She is an amazing person and I will miss her. Always smiling and helpful. I will miss tibetan people. So no-chinese! Curious and smiling and eager to talk to you with their poor english.

Now I'm in a different country, looking forward to discover it!

 

About ka


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.