Existing Member?

Justine's blog

Death by hanging

SIERRA LEONE | Saturday, 21 May 2011 | Views [960]

The day passed relatively uneventfully. Ide's goat was a tremendous success - the only unfortunate aspect being that to get it to his school he had to walk it past my school, and as news of a white man leading a goat travels fast, now everyone at my school wants one too.  We learned that dogs do not like goats, as poor Bubbles was pursued by a pack of growling mutts all the way to school.

Tried to teach adjectives today.  List any adjective, A through Z.  Not a single kid got more than 5 out of 26, and four of those were words I had given them as examples.  However they were excellent at using bluetak to stick the examples to the wall.  I don't know if this has come across, but despite the learning problems - the kids in Miss Jones' class are incredibly warm, wonderful, funny, and enthusiastic.

I have been buying supplies for the school, so to make good use of the (blunt) scissors that I had brought in, Miss Jones had one of her students cut her hair in the middle of class.  Or should I say, her synthetic wig.  We have not seen a single woman with human hair.

Fake hair drying in the sun:

Mr Le Ferve is now pleading desperately with me to find him a wife.  He says that he cannot live without one and it doesn't matter how old she is.  He would be happy if she were seventy, as long as she does not already have a husband.  He has expanded his consideration set to the UK and US, so come on folks - help me out.  I feel I have a huge responsibility on my shoulders.

I met a another friendly man on the way home.  He was a social studies teacher at another school, and also in his final year at university.  He told me that African men don't want African woman because they are promiscuous, but I think its more that the men want to get out of Sierra Leone.

I returned home to find the chickens hanging from the balcony by their feet.  I did check with Ishmael to see that this wasn't some cruel-hearted way of preparing dinner, but in fact it was self-inflicted.  The chickens had been bound together and looped to a post on the balcony.  One of the chickens had leaped over the balcony, not realizing its legs were tied, and dragged its mate with it.  The poor things had blue feet and looked miserable when I rescued them.  The jury's out on whether the chicken was trying to take its own life in one last dramatic fling, or merely making an unfortunate escape attempt.

Runaway chickens:

Chickens rescued:

 

 

Travel Answers about Sierra Leone

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.