Existing Member?

Footsteps around the globe

Brunei

BRUNEI DARUSSALAM | Wednesday, 18 February 2009 | Views [573]

Normal 0 false false false EN-NZ KO X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

If you want to live in a land that gives free housing, free medical, free education, free travel and pay you to go to university then you need to go to the wonderful dream land of Brunei.  I admit that I did about 30 minutes of research before embarking on my quick journey to the land of Sultans, jungles and mosques.

It all began with a prayer…actually two prayers.  One to Jesus with my family and friends and then the other to Allah with the flight team and passengers on Royal Brunei Airlines.   I thought I was safe… that was until the loud speaker changed tack from prayers to warnings… should I take in too many cigarettes or drinks to Brunei, I will get flogged or whipped.   If there is any hint of drug deals or trafficking there is an instant death penalty.  So I went from safe in the arms of God to fearing for my life... even though I knew I was innocent. 

 Brunei is the smallest non-island nation outside of Europe, with a population of 400,000 and 78% of the land still dense forest.  The inhabitants are fiercely proud of their heritage and their Sultan.  The 29th Sultan of Brunai… note that he is never referred to as ‘the sultan’  but by his long name and title which takes about 2 minutes to say!

After a pleasant flight and a friendly welcome I took the free tour on offer from the airline.  It was  2 hour drive by of the city.  It was well worth it if you are going to be around a few hours. We stopped once, and that was at a small food market for 20mins to get a cheap feed.  For Brunei $1 ($1.20)  you received a bowl of rice, spicy sauce and some fried chicken; Nasi Kotak to be precise.  It was delicious.  They markets had all sorts of food and drink.  I was fooled however and when I ordered what looked to be some kind of exotic concoction to drink (I was feeling daring) it turned out to be a watery chocolate milk!  WHAT!!

The tour was fast and very much an overview but good if that’s all you can do.  So with the next 7 hours what was I going to do?  I decided that I wanted a better look and a chance to get off the bus so I booked a better tour and actually paid!  It wasn’t much because this whole country is cheaper that chips but it was well worth it.

I got on a bus with a few others who were also transiting for the day.  We learned about the economy, about the government, w e got detailed history of the sultan and his 3 wives, 12 children and son who is the future Sultan.   First stop the Mosque of the current sultan.  Being a Thursday it was closed in preparation for the next day of prayer however I was awed by the gold mosaic, the water fountains, the superb gardens and the sheer size of the place.  I can proudly say that they use New Zealand carpets, specially ordered by the Sultan (mum- it’s the same blue as we have at home, you must have good taste).  That useless fact was from my over zealous tour guide called Sam.

The Royal regalia museum was good as was the National museum.   I was pretty sure I would have liked it more if I was a little less tired though.   There was some cool stuff, especially the royal chariot used for the coronation and the new one ready to be used this year in the 25 year celebration fo the rule if this Sultan.  As you can hear from my email… EVERYTHING revolves around the Sultan.  HE pays for everything… if you house burns down its ok he’ll buy you a new one!

He seems to be a good guy… 51c a litre for petrol, opening his palace twice a year to anyone who wants to meet him.  He does that for 33 days!  What a peoples politician!

My favourite thing of the whole day was the 600 year old water village. All the buildings were made on stilts and they have water taxis that drive you around.  There is no speed limit in the water so think of a sped up, uglier Venice!  Try going here to have a look.  It reminded me of the water favela in Recife however these places were big, furnished, not falling down and have electricity.  I guess its only that they were wooden houses on brown water that was the same.   

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=4.881156,114.938107&spn=0.01054,0.019312&t=h&z=16

The whole place was pretty cool and I’d like to come here again for more than just a day.  There is huge need for missionaries here.  They have in the whole county 2 churches- 1 Anglican and 1 catholic.   There are also huge forests, walking areas, beaches and a group of really friendly people.

So here I am about to board on my next prayer filled flight to Dubai then London jotting down a few notes on Brunei.  I hope you enjoyed.  

 

About juliewagener


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brunei Darussalam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.