Existing Member?

Footsteps around the globe

Small fridges

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 11 February 2009 | Views [440]

The capital of Switzerland.  Bern is a beautiful city set on a river that curls its way close to the inner city.  Bern has a sad, but getting better, bear enclosure.  This may seem random but Bern means bear, so of course they have a few token bears in a enclosure for people to look at.

The best part of Bern however is the shopping, unlike Zurich which has all the designer and really fancy shops I don’t even dream of entering, Bern has the mid range shops.  I live in Lausanne, a city just  1 hour away but let me tell you, the shopping is far betting in Bern.  First of all its all in one street. Lausanne has so many shops but they are hard to find and its a challenging walk to go around and around the city.  Bern has one main strip with all the shops on it.  The great thing is that because it doesn’t have the Gucci’s and Marc Jacobs etc it is good for the average Joe.  They have great H&M etc.

Bern is also extremely accessible.  Most trains stop in Bern and their public transport is phenomenal.  On time and accurate.  God I love the Swiss!

Bern has all these cute little apartments with the little courtyards and flower boxes. They are fun but I have never seen a decent sized fridge.  All fridges in their apartments are tiny bar fridges...and this is what they use for everyday living.  Strange how we keep so much food in ours.

About juliewagener


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.