Existing Member?

juliep2

Shakespeare's Globe Theater

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 19 June 2007 | Views [261]

Today we started out by finding our way to Shakespeare's Globe Theater. Since we arived about 20 minutes early we found a Starbucks (right across the ally) and I had my first familar piece of home, a chi latte. ahh. It was so good! Well, the theater was quite amazing. There was a guide telling our group about all of identical and different features from the original Globe. The roof was thached and the whole building was made out of wood. The stage had large pillars and poles that look like a pretty red marble, but was actually wood. After looking at the theater the guide took our group into a smaller room and taught us about Shakespeare. He told us about his personal life along with how he wrote and why. The guide was extremely informative and very intertaining.

From the theater Alex and I tried to find the place I will be working at. This was definately an experience I will not forget. We walked in circles for almost an hour. It was also raining on & off with wind blowing so hard it was turning the umbrellas inside out. When it wasn't raining hard is was sprinkling hard at an angle, which was usually in our face! :) We did eventually find the place, which was hidden by a massive building under construction. While we were down there, we checked out what everyone was wearing... all suits. Everyone was wearing suits and ties!!! Looks like I will be dressing up every single day of my internship.

The next venture was finding food and making our way to class. We went to Tesco, which is like a mini-market and got lunch for under 2 pounds. Class was actually interesting and I am enjoying learning about Shakespeare and the Elizabeathean period.

After class Alex and I went in search of where Alex will be interning. Let's just say her place is very interesting. It is located at the end of a loading doc that's about a mile long! It smells like poo and has a lot of creepy people. We were both extremely happy that we were together in that area!

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.