Existing Member?

All aboard a trip abroad Ready, OK!

Day 1 - Ocktoberfest

GERMANY | Wednesday, 1 October 2008 | Views [549]

We had arranged a pre booking with the Fanatics which offered a weekend hostel package. We booked an extra 2 nights before the weekend had commenced just to get prepared for the bender. We arrived at Hauptbahnhof train station and our designated hostel was Jaegers in Senefelderstrabe St. Just a 2 min walk from the train station and less then 10 mins to the beer-halls, so it was quite conveniently located. We checked in and showed our room which was a shared, 40 bed dorm. This was not what I had expected, I thought we would be in a 4 bedroom dorm, so i was pretty pissed off. The reception staff spoke english and were pretty helpful. They also owned a 2nd pension hotel/apartment that was available for our two extra night so we paid a little extra and booked in to the Alpina hotel pension on Landwehrstr st. It was a reasonable sized room with three beds and a shower and a little hot-plate and fridge. We were really happy with it and relieved to get a decent nights sleep as we were pretty tired. Once we dropped our gear off we went for a walk to the beer halls to check out what we were in for.  It took a 6 min walk and once there we found one beer tent after the other mixed amongst a festive carnival atmosphere. We decided to taste the local lager and entered the Lowenbrau tent which turned out to be my favorite. The crowd was quite rowdy and there was plenty of singing. Once you found yourself a table one of the many barmaids approaches you for your order. Three beers thanks and 30 euro later, we were hooking in. The whole atmosphere is a once in a life time experience. After a few more rounds we became confident enough to mix with the locals and even ride the 5 loop roller-coaster. We bought a bratwurst which was a 1/2 meter fried sausage for the walk home and we retired to our room round 7pm.

Tags: beerfest, germany, munich, ocktoberfest, octoberfest

About juliedrewe


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.