Existing Member?

All aboard a trip abroad Ready, OK!

Applying fo a UK VISA.

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 28 August 2008 | Views [3489] | Comments [5]

Applying for a UK working Visa has probably been the most frustrating element of my travel planning. I wasn't fully aware of the procedures and processing times the visa actually took so our booked flights had to be cancelled and re-booked to a later date. It was in fact my own fault and I just wished I had been better prepared. So here’s a 4 step easy guide for you in laymen’s terms.

DON”T BOOK YOUR TRIP UNTIL YOU GET YOUR VISA APPROVED!

APPLY FOR YOUR VISA 4 MONTHS BEFORE YOU INTEND TO BE THERE.                                    (YOU THEN HAVE TO BE IN THE UK WITHIN 3 MONTHS OF RECEIVING YOUR VISA)

1. Have at least $5000 cash in your nominated bank account and get a statement with at least 3 months worth of past transactions. If you have borrowed the $$$ and deposited it, just explain where it came from. E.g. sold your car.

2. Go to your local photo shop and get 2 passport photos for a UK visa. Make sure you specify this.

3. Go online

http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/

And fill out an online application and follow all prompts. Be as honest as possible and add any extra information if need be. As far as the criminal convictions question, you can go to your local police station and ask them if you have any criminal convictions? They will check your record and tell you without it costing you anything. Once you have completed the application you then need to

4. Make an appointment at one of the consulates, (going to Canberra, cuts out the delivery time of your application, which you should only do if your desperate)  Once confirmed a date, take your printed and signed application form, your appointment receipt and your passport to have your biometric data taken also take your, bank statement that show your funds, and all other supporting documents including the " href="http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/3400748/whq" target="_blank">working holiday maker questionnaire.(which is available on website)

3. Then you Pay Visa Fee of  $462 (Working Holiday Maker Visa) or check other fees http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/visas/fees

Ask the teller anything you like there and then otherwise you will have to pay for your general visa information at a rate of $2.75 cents per minute, which will be charged to your telephone bill.  1902 941 555

4. Then Send Everything together to

Locked Bag 5010
Visa Section
Piccadilly House
39 Brindabella Circuit
Canberra Airport
ACT 2609

 

 

Allow for 30 working days min, after this they will contact you directly via email.

Follow up.

It took over 40 working days to receive our visa, and once we called the 1900 number which turns out to be a call centre in Sydney. We were told that our Visa's had been there since last thursday, which meant we had wasted 5 days because we were not notified by email. We went to collect them from Canberra and I wanted to make a complaint, the lady told me that sometimes the emails don't send properly and bounce back. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Why don\t they tell you that to begin with....I was so angry at just how pathetic this government agency was, get your act together!

Tags: canberra, uk visa, visa application

Comments

1

Plz give me the information about the cricket accedmey in uk.so iam waiting for your replay thanks..

  Abdul Rehman Sep 3, 2008 9:55 PM

2

pls help me at the earliest fr satish

  satish Sep 30, 2008 3:11 PM

3

really helpful article, the application process is a mess but this made it a lot easier

  andy Jan 9, 2012 10:26 PM

4

Creative article , I loved the facts , Does someone know where my business could acquire a blank IRS 1041 version to edit ?

  Cora Statham Apr 23, 2016 1:27 PM

5

Hi Cora Statham . my business partner completed a template IRS 1041 at this place http://goo.gl/Ms4ebj

  Dalene Sampson Apr 23, 2016 6:23 PM

About juliedrewe


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.