Existing Member?

Revolution All Around: Documenting Israeli Identity in 2011 'Documenting my Documentation' (try saying that five times fast.)

On the Border

USA | Friday, 10 February 2012 | Views [643]

Syrian Border, Golan Heights

Syrian Border, Golan Heights

Somehow, through the haze of my thesis and focus on southern Israel, I completely had forgotten that I went to the Syrian border in 2010. This seems like a rather large thing to have forgotten considering how much Syria is in the news, but I somehow managed. Heck, I even have photographic evidence of me standing there (although, I look like hell from hiking, so I'd rather not post that).

It was actually quite a memorable experience--partly because it was about 20 degrees cooler there than where we'd been earlier in the day, but also because, as we looked down across the border, a jeep was making it's way along one of the dirt roads (on the Syrian side) and two of the soldiers I was with seemed to be talking with some level of concern about it. I'll never know exactly what they said, but I got the gist of it, and it wasn't rainbows and butterflies.


I remember the border seemed rather unremarkable besides that little conversation. There were farms, lots of arid areas, and a few roads that we could see. I remember thinking how arbitrary national borders are: "You see this here dirt? Well it's my dirt. That dirt o'er yonder? That's your dirt."

Anyway, random rambling of the day.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.