Existing Member?

Revolution All Around: Documenting Israeli Identity in 2011 'Documenting my Documentation' (try saying that five times fast.)

RTNA Award/procrastination post

USA | Monday, 12 December 2011 | Views [558]

Hello all,

I hope everyone is surviving the holiday season!

I currently don't have a documentary update because I am in the midst of finals. FINALS! However, as of Thursday, I will have my life back.

In fact, I really only have one tidbit I'd like to share. *drum roll please*

Last week I was awarded a Radio Television News Association scholarship for both my current grad work on Israeli politics and on my journalistic accomplishments thus far (which include being published and underpaid...woo!) Apparently, my journalistic ethics essay wasn't too terrible either.

The financial part of this award will actually go towards paying off my student loans. I am seriously grateful for that. Hopefully, the award itself will help bolster my resume enough to give me half a chance at either receiving a post-grad fellowship or getting a staff job somewhere...perhaps I'll even have dental insurance! (The song "Small Pleasures" from Oliver just popped into my head.)

And because my brain works in odd ways, the thought occurred to me today that with this lovely award, presented at the Golden Mike Awards, I will have to find (and pay for) a dress to wear to said awards show. For those of you that know me, this is one of those "oh man...really?" moments. I don't love shopping. I certainly don't love shopping for formal things that require hardcore binding undergarments.

Not a big deal on the spectrum of "things that are a big deal," but enough of a nuisance to complain. I mean really, journalists are not the kinds of people that like getting dressed up. Jeans and New Balance shoes (or leggings and moccasins in my case) are the uniform of the freelancer.

I guess I could show up like that....but somehow I feel like my family would be embarrassed (which could be entertaining on some sick level.)

Anyway, back to work...I'll hopefully have another documentary update (rather than a rambling post about dresses) in a couple weeks.

Merry Chrismahannukwanzakah!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.