Existing Member?

Revolution All Around: Documenting Israeli Identity in 2011 'Documenting my Documentation' (try saying that five times fast.)

My last night in Israel

ISRAEL | Saturday, 20 August 2011 | Views [319]

Outside of the apartment

Outside of the apartment

Last night was my last evening in Kibbutz Gevim, Sderot. We spent the night listening to music, watching True Blood (yes, it's popular here), all the while listening to (and feeling) the air-strikes on Gaza. Luckily, we didn't have a Tseva Adom last night, but I know Ashdod was hit again.

What I find truly scary is the fact that the UN (thanks to Lebanon) won't condemn the terrorist attack on Israelis in Eilat--apparently the people who were killed and injured there (dozens of them) aren't worthy of being alive. If the UN won't condemn a terrorist attack (wherever it takes place) the UN is worse than worthless.

Right now I'm sitting at Ben Gurion waiting for my flight. I can't believe how quickly these two weeks went by--I've learned so much and experienced things that just aren't possible to experience in the US. I've made new friends all over the south and truly hope I get to see them again. I'm worried about an escalation on violence in the coming weeks, and I can only pray that it doesn't strike the people I've come to care about. Obviously, I hope it doesn't affect anyone, but I know that's not realistic.

So to all my friends in Israel (new and old) Toda! This especially goes out to Reuma, Sufki, Ron, Paz, and their families. Next year in Berlin! (Why Berlin? Why not!)

Ani Ohevet Otcha! (I love you all! I know, not a proper translation, but the sentiment is there.)


I'll keep you all up to date with my documentary as it starts coming together. See you back in the states!

 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.