Existing Member?

Retirement travelling Grey Nomad Adventures

Italian Adventure - 5/9 to 21/9 - Part 2

ITALY | Wednesday, 21 September 2016 | Views [360]

Sorry for being behind but a combination of poor wifi at times and tiredness has got the better of me. Now back to Italy. We landed in Siena just on the edge of the main historical part and of course the tourist hub. Once we found our start point we joined the tourists and started our 20mins walk thru the busy tourist throng to our accommodation - a spacious appt in old building with a big front door. We could see the very top of the Duomo (cathedral) and rooftops of part of the old city. Having arrived around lunchtime we quickly got out and orientated ourselves. We booked a trip to the Tuscany surrounds for the next day,bought bus tickets onward to Rome,got in supplies(cheese wine,beer,proscuitto etc) and did a bit of wandering. Our trip into Tuscany (next day) was on a tour and we visited the small towns of Montalcino,Pienza  and Montepulciano. All evry historic,full of character and lovely to wander in. Pienza was especially nice as the locals prided themselves on their window boxes and pots full of flowering plants. The trip also included a visit to a winery,where Brunello style wines are made,from Sangiovese grapes. THe old matriarch was very talkative (in Italian but some english translation) about his winery and its long history. We were treated to 4 wine tastings -a sit down event - with bread,olive oil,local pecorino cheese from Pienza and porscuitto. Yummy.Also had a tasting of the Nobile style wine in Montpulciano.All in all a very enjoyable day more so because we didn't have to bother getting oursleves about - just do as we were told. The other two days we spent wandering in and out,and around the old part of Siena. The 2 big attractions there are the Duomo  and Il Campo - a big oval piazza. We visited all the sections of the Duomo .Inside the frescoes,marble,sculpture etc are spectacular.The Piccolomini Library was breathtaking due to the brilliant colours of the frescoes and the old manuscripts. 3 hours flew by. The thing to do at Il Campo is to sit on its sloping stone surface and eat,drink or rest. We joined the many tourists there (after the Duomo) with a gelati in hand and enjoyed the people watching. Found a tiramsu gelati flavour that the actual biscuit pieces in it.We also visited many other churches,found a roman fountain,walked alongside parts of the old wall fortification and found this great little garden area (no entrance cost) with a very tiny old church in it. The garden area was modern with seating,tables and garden beds made out of pallets. The beds were on castors on a basketball court so they could be rolled off when a game needed to be played.Very good use of a small space. All too soon our time in Siena was over and whilst there were plenty of tourists we loved the feel of the city. So on an overcast morning we made our way back to bus station to catch the bus to Rome.

About jugap


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.