Existing Member?

Retirement travelling Grey Nomad Adventures

Europe - Start of "Tour de Mont Blanc"

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 29 August 2016 | Views [246]

Sorry everyone have not had much chance to write anything yet as not had the wi-fi connection. It is a bit sparse in the Alps. We are now more than halfway through our walk - 107km down and 70km to go. At the moment I'm sitting in Hotel Edelweiss in a little swiss village - La Fouly,just over the border from Italy. We started out in France,been through Italy,now in Switzerland and will return to France in a couple of days time.

We are certainly seeing some magnificent scenery - tall mountains,valleys,glaciers,whilst up and down through the Alpes. On this trip it is not Mum deoderant that is a girl's best friend but her walking poles. Without them to help get me up those steep inclines and descents I wouldn't be this far along.We have been very lucky with the weather and in fact the first 4 days were very hot and sunny ( like a Brisbane summer's day) and the last two a bit cooler. 

 The first day we walked 18kms from 9.15am to 6.45pm - some hard stretches and ended up in the small french town of Les Contamines where we stayed in a renovated farmhouse aboiut 400 years old. That big king bed and hot shower were fantastic. And the best thing was the dinner venue was 50metres away - pasta and beer/wine.After a nice b/fast from our hostess we set off next day at 8.30am but we managed to get to the next destination - Les Chapieux.by 4.45pm. This hostel type accommodation provided dinner and b/fast. An even earlier departure - 8.15am the next day saw us cross over into Italy ( no border control high in the Alps) and early finish -3pm at the Refugio Elizabetta. THis accommodation was perched a little up a mountainside by itself with 2 glaciers behind it and views down into the valley below.Once again dinner and b/fast provided. The shower whilst hot was limited to a 30litre wash.One was supplied with a token to dispense precisely that amount. Yes I did get the sweat and dirt off in time.We stayed in a 6 bed dorm with a french speaking couple joining the 4 of us.At least they didn't snore. The only down of this place was the day old bread and jam, and weak tea provided for b/fast. Not good for hiking.Luckily we had a trail mix and bars with us . No corner shop nearby. The end of this days hike saw us descend down into the Italian town of Courmayeur. Here we had an apartment for 2 nights - a rest day for our weary bodies. First thing was a hot shower and then a trip to the local supermarket for supplies. Then some horizontal time on the bed before walking across the road for pizza the Italian way. An enormous pizza that did us for lunch the next day as well.

After our rest in Courmayeur it was off again to out next stop in Italy. This was a relatively easy day with a gradual ascent up and over to mountain top to the Refugio Benartti. This was almost luxury hostel accommodation. A big dinner ( 4 courses) and b/fast supplied once again. Even a special room with heating to dry off one's washed hiking gear. The only downside was the water out of the bathrrom sink tap was straight from the moutain streams and so it was a quick rinse when cleaning teeth or washing hands. After leaving there today we crossed into Switzerland  and are now in this valley along which we will have an easy walk tomorrow 30/8. 

We have seen and heard cows with bells around their necks - like in the movies. We have to keep changing our greeting to fellow walkers - Bonjour to Buongiorno and again Bonjour. We have talked to Brits,Dutch,Israeli's French,Italians,Canadians and many more. It is all very interesting. 

Well that's all for now Bed awaits a weary hiker.

About jugap


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.