Existing Member?

Eurpoean South African Adventure

UK - wet wet wet adventures

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 9 July 2007 | Views [443] | Comments [1]

Just over 12 days in UK now and it has rained for nine of them - the weather has been so wet that when the latest terrorist attempts were foiled the mayor of London is quoted as saying that he is more concerned about the rain detering tourists than the terrorist aversion!!

However rain did stop on time for all of the London part of the tour de France and the Wimbledon final.  London was like one big carnival that weekend.  Hyde Park was crammed full of happy people and it was much easier to watch the prologue on one of the big screens knowing that Stu Ogrady had taken a tumble only meters away - we could see the action on the screen and hear the live action in the background.

The next day we watched the caravan, for stage one, come past our flat window and then we pottered along the road to watch the race come through.  On the way we encountered Marcel Marceau's naughty twin brother, a French market, pubs blairing dixie land jazz and lots of very happy - perhaps alcohol induced happy!! people.  The riders came through with lightning speed and i barely had time to lift my camera...and then it was all over.

Well not all over - a leisurely picnic in Greenwhich park with yet another bottle of wine - I think I am becoming french on that count!! and then we pottered around the streets and watched the street theatre - all in French (yep we were still in UK!!) and then finished off watching Robbie do us proud on the big screen, finally capping the day off watching Fedderer take out his 5th Wimbledon title. Then back to Sussex where more wine awaited....

Today looked like it was going to be glorious - so I hired a MTB and took a ride up to the Downs (if you get my drift) - very pretty - ocean on one side, beautiful fields on the others and rain clouds rolled in overhead to give me a serious drenching.

So subject to all things going according to plan - here endeth the UK chapter and on to Geneva in the morning.....

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hey Jude,
Good to see you having fun. Hungary was very good. Every day was hot and they haven't heard of air con in any of the pensions. Each night we reduced the wine lake of Europe, just as you are doing. Seems like a bit of synchronisity.
I am enjoying your blogs.
Regards
Garth

  Garth Jul 12, 2007 4:21 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.