Existing Member?

Lost in a big world

Welcome to Miami

USA | Sunday, 3 October 2010 | Views [688]

I just moved to Miami for a new job. Miami is quite unusual for a US city. When I first arrived, I went to a restuarant (Catch of the day, which was pretty good) and the waitress spoke to me in Spanish. I think Miami is something like 70% Spanish speaking.

I am living just outside the downtown area of Coral Gables, which is a latin influenced (I think many wealthy south american live here) upscale suburban town surrounded by Miami (somehow, it avoided incorporation). It sort of reminds me of Bethesda, MD. I live in a high rise with a nice pool, on a busy street, with a supermarket across the street and a good cuban restuarant next door and a 3 block walk to "the miricle mile" which is the downtown Coral Gables. Its about a 2 mile commute to work. Which may sound short, but in terms of exposure to bad drivers, its a lot. This is because Miami drivers are the worst I have seen in the US. By far! After dealing with cars weaving back and forth on 2 lane streets, all of them making illegal turns, few of them aware of the other drivers around them, cutting them off not letting them in, etc. But yesterday, I saw something I had never seen before. I was driving in the lane closer to the middle on a busy divided 4 lane street (2 lanes going each way, with a double yellow line in the middle), and a car turns onto my street by makinbg a left turn into the right most lane (with multiple cars going the other direction in the left lane that I was in), going up the street 30 feet in the wrong direction, before cutting across 2 lanes onto the correct side of traffic. Oy vey. I suspect car insurance rates are going to be very high here...

Tags: bad drivers

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.