Existing Member?

Lost in a big world

Road Trip

INDONESIA | Saturday, 22 November 2008 | Views [739]

I headed north to Ubud with Paul, Siya (spelling?), and their kids Slam and Ziggy. Where we arrived it was raining, but it appeared to be a cute town with lots of art galleries. We booked at a guest house. I got a room with a nicer large bed with a fan, a second small bed, and a nice balcony with chairs and a table. It cost about $11. It looked like it was a nice spot, but when I awoke I saw a beautiful water covered rice patty field 30 feet away. What a beautiful spot. After breakfast (free with the room) we went to the sacred monkey forest in Ubud ($1.50). The place was literally crawling of monkeys of all sizes. One tried to pickpocket me. Two or 3 ended up on top of Paul. It was great. I really liked Ubud, and wished I had more time there.

After Ubud, we went looking for the beach at Candidasa (it turned out to be the east coast not the north coast) but ended up at padambai where the ferry leaves for lombok. It look us a little bit of walking to find a secret beach, was has been partially distroyed by a korean development that is in progresses, but we eventually found it and had fun on the beach. I wanted to book a fast boat to Gili Trawanan (a small island of the coast of lombok) but I ran into a problem:

There are no ATMs on the Gili's, the lone atm in padambai did not take either of my cards, and no one in padambai would cash by slightly ripped travelers checks.Finally, I booked a trip the long way. Slow Ferry to Lombok, transfer by land up the coast, with a stop at an ATM, then boat over to the Gili's. Paul and family headed back home and I went off to Lombok.

 

Tags: ubud

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.