Existing Member?

Lost in a big world

Chengdu

CHINA | Monday, 13 October 2008 | Views [659] | Comments [4]

After my visit to the pandas, the monestary, and the park, I went to a Sichuan Opera show in the evening. I was not expecting that I would like it, since I didn't like the Beijing opera show I saw all that much (sorry, Wei), but this show was amazing. There was singing, an erdu solo, a comedy routine with fire and a balancing act, a face and costum changing skit, and a hand shadow show. It really was amazing. I think tickets would be $200 on broadway or in vegas.

The following day I went to see the Dujiangyan Irrigation System. Now despite the fact that this is a world heritage site located 40 miles from Chengdu. And despite the fact that this is one of the worlds great engineering achievements, there were no tours there from the hostel, so I had to take a cab to the long distance bus, to another cab.

The site was very pretty with great chinese gardens near the irrigation site (and lots of brides and grooms taking photos) but I really needed a guide for the actually site, to explain what was built and how it was built and was has changed since 200 BC when the river was first split in 3. The town is also lovely with mountains in the background and bars along the river. There was a little bit of rubble around the town do to the earthquake, but mostly it still looked good. I think the town (600,000 people) is worth exploring some more.

Some final thoughts on chengdu. After 1 day of sun, I had 3 days of grey, and the polution is bad when the sun is not out. While xian had lots of moble phone shops, Chengdu was selling furnature, air conditioning, and other such appliances. I also saw a Porche dealership. The contrast between poor and rich in china is very stark.

I also find it interesting the the smoke shops (all over the place since everyone seems to smoke in this country) also sells the local wine. All 2 brands of it....

went to see

Tags: opera smoke

 

Comments

1

Everyone smokes: except women! Where I am, you never see women smoking and it's a sign of 'low quality'. I don't know if it's the same in the larger cities. (I'm in Zhangzhou in the Fujian Provence.)

I agree about the gray skies! It's either moisture in the air or bad pollution and one thing I miss about my home city (Sydney) is the blue skies!! :D

Sorry to just comment, I feel kind of rude without introducing my self! I'm Maz! :)

  mazystar Oct 14, 2008 3:09 AM

2

Welcome to my blog! Yeah I was saving my editorial comments on life and culture here in china until the end of my trip here, but yes you are right...

  jsherdc Oct 14, 2008 11:28 PM

3

I've read a few of your entries and I must say I like the way you write very much! It's interesting to me, to read other peoples experiences in China. I hope you don't mind my commenting, it feels very invasive but these blogs are anything but personal. They don't seem have the option to make them private. Anyway, I hope you're having a fun trip! :)

  mazystar Oct 15, 2008 11:04 PM

4

Thanks for the nice comments. I am always happy to hear from my readership, and am amazed that I actually have a readership other than my mom...

  jsherdc Oct 15, 2008 11:38 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.